Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retroactive price increase over Maroney Sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't have a legit argument here but I just thought this was kind of sneaky on Tesla's part. I already complain and got nowhere with them.

I bought a new in stock 3 Long Range Dual Motor last month. It was discounted by $1,490 over sticker on the website plus I got another $500 from a friend's referral. In hindsight I really should have waited as discounts are much bigger now.

When I picked it up, I received a Maroney sticker but never really did the math until this week as my daughter is picking up the same model - different color - this week.

I never noticed until yesterday but my white Tesla was made in June so my Maroney sticker has the color as no cost. But since I bought the car in July and white was now a $1,000 option that was included in my P&S agreement. Seems to me once a car is made and MSRP is printed on the Maroney Sticker then that should be what Tesla should charge. I know dealers can mark up the price from MSRP but Tesla is the manufacturer and I don't believe other manufacturers would do this retroactively so seems a little sneaky to me.

I really don't have a legit argument here but I just thought this was kind of sneaky on Tesla's part. I already complain and got nowhere with them.

I bought a new in stock 3 Long Range Dual Motor last month. It was discounted by $1,490 over sticker on the website plus I got another $500 from a friend's referral. In hindsight I really should have waited as discounts are much bigger now.

When I picked it up, I received a Maroney sticker but never really did the math until this week as my daughter is picking up the same model - different color - this week.

I never noticed until yesterday but my white Tesla was made in June so my Maroney sticker has the color as no cost. But since I bought the car in July and white was now a $1,000 option that was included in my P&S agreement. Seems to me once a car is made and MSRP is printed on the Maroney Sticker then that should be what Tesla should charge. I know dealers can mark up the price from MSRP but Tesla is the manufacturer and I don't believe other manufacturers would do this retroactively so seems a little sneaky to me.
The Monroney sticker sometimes is inaccurate, but it's not the legally binding document. Your legally binding document is your order agreement. The only legal case that might be made is if you were shopping for cars off the lot and bought the car based on the Monroney sticker, but that's not true in this case either.

From your account, it seems you put in your order after they already changed white to a $1000 option. As such the MSRP you bought it for was accurate to what you paid. If that is the case, I don't think you have any basis for a refund. If instead, you ordered before they made that change, and when you finally took delivery, the price increased, that is a different story and you can probably get a refund (I remember reading cases where similar things happened, although usually they catch it before or at delivery, not a month after).

Although even this is not legally required, Tesla generally will honor lower prices from when order was taken, even if the price increases by the time delivery comes around, and on flip side will also apply lower prices if they lower by the time of delivery, although no mix and match is allowed (like in cases where some option increased in price and another decreased, you don't get to pick the lowest of both).

Last edited:
Reactions: vickh and morbidz