Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery state different from registration state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spent some time with DMV registering my car and learned some things I wish I had known prior to delivery.

First, a delivery center is NOT a dealership. They are not covered by dealership laws. You are doing a private party transfer and should take delivery under your states rules, not the delivery center's rules, for a private party transfer.

Strong suggestion: Call your state's DMV and find out what their rules are for an out of state private party transfer prior to delivery. Also find out if your state has a reciprocal agreement with the delivery center's state. If there is none, if at all feasible, only take delivery from a state with a reciprocal agreement. It could save you a lot of money. Tell them you are taking delivery of a new Tesla and they may give you specific information to take to the delivery center. Nevada, at least, is well aware of dealing with Tesla.

If you take delivery in a state with a reciprocal agreement, depending on what your state's DMV told you to the contrary, refuse to pay any sales taxes or other state fees, such as titling or registration fees on the MVPA to the delivery center. They are generally not entitled to them. But they will keep them and you are making a gift of those charges to the delivery center's state. You very well might end up with a title and/or registration from the delivery center's state. And you will be on the hook for straightening it out including paying duplicate payment of any fees or taxes not covered by a reciprocal agreement.

In my case, as a Nevada resident, I just gave a gift of $5200+ to the state of California for sales taxes. Because Nevada has a reciprocal agreement I only had to pay the differences for Nevada but I resent giving California a dime for nothing. Also, I found out the car will, one of these days have a California title. That too really ticks me off. Nevada does not require I retitle the car in Nevada, like California would, so I don't have to do anything there, but still, I was not informed of anything about this by Tesla.