Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design/ quote questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a Tesla solar system design/quote. It includes 6.4kw of panels and a Powerwall 2. This is in northern Wisconsin in a pretty rural area, but on-grid. Here are the general details:

- 7,000 kwh estimated annual production
- 16 400w qcell panels
- 1 Powerwall 2
- 1 energy gateway 2
- 1 7.6kw Tesla solar inverter
- total cost including installation $44,096

My questions are:

1.) This price seems high. Wondering if my research regarding this is up to date? I was told on phone Powerwall costs $19,000. I'm assuming this includes install, but not sure if includes inverter. If includes inverter, that puts my $/watt around $3.80 just for the panels. My setup should be simple. It is a one-story house and all panels will be located on same pitch of roof and close together. Also Powerwall should be able to be located right next to meter and very close to main breaker panel. I have not requested anything special nor had an on-site visit yet. Can the remoteness be a factor driving up price? Another factor that I'm wondering if anyone else has run into: could the installer simply not want the job so they mark it up to either avoid it or make bank if they must do it? I didnt see any way on Tesla site to shop around for different installers. Is there a way? Is it common for rural northern regions to simply only have one option?

Would waiting until Spring and/or trying to haggle possibly lead to a lower price? Has anyone had any luck haggling with an installer?

2.) The design paperwork shows a Powerwall 2 instead of a Powerwall +. What could be the reasons for this? Is it likely they simply have 2's available so that's what they're using? Or is it possible a 2+inverter is the right tool for this job? What advantage could a 2 have over a plus?

Any other comments or suggestions appreciated!

The price of 19k for a single powerwall and installation sounds extraordinarily high to me.

Another factor that I'm wondering if anyone else has run into: could the installer simply not want the job so they mark it up to either avoid it or make bank if they must do it?
Thats a thing in all industries / businesses. I dont live in a rural location so I cant answer that for your location, but you definitely need to try to get other quotes. Im not sure I understand the part about "shop around on the Tesla site", since Tesla doesnt operate that way.

You will need to look in your area for solar installers (multiple hopefully).

Reactions: Redhill_qik
The price of 19k for a single powerwall and installation sounds extraordinarily high to me.

Thats a thing in all industries / businesses. I dont live in a rural location so I cant answer that for your location, but you definitely need to try to get other quotes. Im not sure I understand the part about "shop around on the Tesla site", since Tesla doesnt operate that way.

You will need to look in your area for solar installers (multiple hopefully).

I inquired about solar on the Tesla site. They automatically set me up with this installer. So was making sure I didn't miss something where they gave an option to select a different one.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thats interesting. That means they (Tesla) must not support wherever you are directly. I would definitely invite looking around. Im gonna tag @sunwarriors since it seems to me that they had a good handle on what internet platforums might be good for starting your search.

If the installer told you verbally "19k is the price for a powerwall and installation", there seems to be a lot of fluff in that price. It could be, that you are subject to a "very few choices for service" type of situation, but the quote doesnt sound super competitive to me, to put it mildly.

From my experience, if Tesla is farming out to 3rd party, expect a 50% higher cost to install. Downside is, of course, the cost increase. Upside, generally, is better support in case of issues.

My area used to be installed by Tesla direct. I purchased and had it installed by Tesla, but Tesla had so many issues with my utility that they abandoned the area. Now they use a third party, and their estimated costs are quite literally 50% higher.

I'd suggest calling some other local solar companies and getting some comparative quotes.

From my experience, if Tesla is farming out to 3rd party, expect a 50% higher cost to install. Downside is, of course, the cost increase. Upside, generally, is better support in case of issues.

My area used to be installed by Tesla direct. I purchased and had it installed by Tesla, but Tesla had so many issues with my utility that they abandoned the area. Now they use a third party, and their estimated costs are quite literally 50% higher.
This x10000

I generally say get a ton of quotes to start from energysage as well as all the local ads/signs/radio/TV/friends you see where you live. I don't get paid by them or have any affiliation, but that was my process and enough people have used them that they aren't an outright scam. You're just getting a few installers who pay for your lead, but you do need to do your own research after you get a few quotes. Some can be total crap, but that can be said for regular local installers too as well as some problem installs you see here from Tesla.

Solar installation prices are local and I've seen quotes posted now even below $2.50 still on the solar reddit. It all depends on your area/competition, etc. I think everyone should just get at least 3-5 quotes and if everyone in your area is $3.50/W, then that's really your local price and no one is gouging or ripping anyone off.

The Tesla quote in a remote area sounds ok to me honestly. I think we're all used to sub $2.50, but that's really the bottom range price. I think most folks paid around $2.25 - $3.50 or so. I'm closer to $2.50, but I got like 15 quotes and did a lot of research. Some were as high as $4-$5 too.

Another thing you can consider is that I see you have 1 PW quoted. Add another PW and I think the price wouldn't be much more, at least not $19k more. 1 battery installs are overpriced since they have to do a lot of work for less $$. Add another PW and maybe 2 will be like $26k or something.

Solar installation prices are local and I've seen quotes posted now even below $2.50 still on the solar reddit. It all depends on your area/competition, etc. I think everyone should just get at least 3-5 quotes and if everyone in your area is $3.50/W, then that's really your local price and no one is gouging or ripping anyone off.

The Tesla quote in a remote area sounds ok to me honestly. I think we're all used to sub $2.50, but that's really the bottom range price. I think most folks paid around $2.25 - $3.50 or so. I'm closer to $2.50, but I got like 15 quotes and did a lot of research. Some were as high as $4-$5 too.
For a data point reference, the current price I have from Tesla is $2.35 per watt on a 10.53 kW system. The price I got from a very reputable solar installer in NC/SC was $3.23 per watt on a 10.7 kW system.

3 PW's from Tesla is $26,000 whereas 1 PW from the local installer was quoted at $17,750. There is obviously a discount per PW from Tesla bc I got 3, but just for reference I could get 1 PW from Tesla for $11,500 (installation included on all quotes).

Last edited:
I just got a Tesla solar system design/quote. It includes 6.4kw of panels and a Powerwall 2. This is in northern Wisconsin in a pretty rural area, but on-grid. Here are the general details:

- 7,000 kwh estimated annual production
- 16 400w qcell panels
- 1 Powerwall 2
- 1 energy gateway 2
- 1 7.6kw Tesla solar inverter
- total cost including installation $44,096

My questions are:

1.) This price seems high. Wondering if my research regarding this is up to date? I was told on phone Powerwall costs $19,000. I'm assuming this includes install, but not sure if includes inverter. If includes inverter, that puts my $/watt around $3.80 just for the panels. My setup should be simple. It is a one-story house and all panels will be located on same pitch of roof and close together. Also Powerwall should be able to be located right next to meter and very close to main breaker panel. I have not requested anything special nor had an on-site visit yet. Can the remoteness be a factor driving up price? Another factor that I'm wondering if anyone else has run into: could the installer simply not want the job so they mark it up to either avoid it or make bank if they must do it? I didnt see any way on Tesla site to shop around for different installers. Is there a way? Is it common for rural northern regions to simply only have one option?

Would waiting until Spring and/or trying to haggle possibly lead to a lower price? Has anyone had any luck haggling with an installer?

2.) The design paperwork shows a Powerwall 2 instead of a Powerwall +. What could be the reasons for this? Is it likely they simply have 2's available so that's what they're using? Or is it possible a 2+inverter is the right tool for this job? What advantage could a 2 have over a plus?

Any other comments or suggestions appreciated!
Are you ordering direct from tesla.com? When I input a 6.48 kW panel and 1 powerwall system, it comes out to $28k for my address.

1697574353607.png

You can get a quote from tesla.com that isn't installed by Tesla directly. It will be called out as 'Tesla doesn't service your area directly, but we have third party installers that will work with us.', or something like that. That's where you get the higher price that gary3411 is seeing.

Reactions: Grayson73