Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charger Roulette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
August 1300 mile trip / two premium hotels with good Destination Charging for years of stops with my P85D. Got new 2020 model S: charge ring goes red. Hotels swear their charger works. J1772 charger works (slowly)..supercharger works. Portable charger works. Tesla Telephone review of computer record - August, rover service call and then service center overnite inspection on two successive days (September)“The hotels have defective charger” I ask why do other Tesla’s charge? “ it’s a Defective charger. Good bye”

Guess what? Today December I ask again. “Gen 1 Destination chargers don’t work on this car” How do I know Gen 1 from 2? “ I don’t know!”

How do you plan a trip with Destination Chargers when no one knows which they have? Anyone know?

15 months and Tesla has done nothing. Gen 1 chargers don’t work on 2020 and 2021 cars. Service knows there a communication problem. Hotels and Restaurants don’t know what they have, Tesla map shows all even in the car even when they should know they are mis-directing the car. Tesla service just says ‘nothing to say’!

It's been a lot longer than 15 months. They've had this problem for years.

I upgraded to MCU2 anyway earlier this year. Fortunately I haven't run into a public HPWC that is incompatible. You say J1772 works "slowly" but it is plenty fast to charge the car overnight. Most of the hotels where I've charged have had J1772 chargers in addition to Tesla HPWCs, so there's a bit of a safety net if I run into an incompatible one.