Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to report that a destination charger has been removed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what I need to do to report a destination charger has been removed by the property?

I'm currently doing a cross country trip and unexpectedly needed a hotel to hunker down for the night as my original destination is currently under a tornado warning and the entire route to get there is under a tornado watch. I found a hotel near where I currently am which had good reviews along with a free tesla destination charger, perfect I thought... I get there and of course the place looks a lot more dated than what's on the internet but honestly I don't care as long as it doesn't have bug, I don't get murdered, and I can charge my car. I checked in and whipped my car around back to where the chargers are and see two J-1772 chargers and no destination charger... Okay strange... So I go back inside and ask the front desk if the tesla charges were somewhere else? Only to find out that the hotel replaced their destination charger with another J-1772 charger "because too many people were getting confused". Annoyed I go back out to the car to plug in just to find out the chargers require an app plus an account to activate AND costs $2/hour. The hotel should not be shown on the tesla destination charger map when they do not have one and are lying about the price.

Does anyone know what I need to do to report a destination charger has been removed by the property?

I'm currently doing a cross country trip and unexpectedly needed a hotel to hunker down for the night as my original destination is currently under a tornado warning and the entire route to get there is under a tornado watch. I found a hotel near where I currently am which had good reviews along with a free tesla destination charger, perfect I thought... I get there and of course the place looks a lot more dated than what's on the internet but honestly I don't care as long as it doesn't have bug, I don't get murdered, and I can charge my car. I checked in and whipped my car around back to where the chargers are and see two J-1772 chargers and no destination charger... Okay strange... So I go back inside and ask the front desk if the tesla charges were somewhere else? Only to find out that the hotel replaced their destination charger with another J-1772 charger "because too many people were getting confused". Annoyed I go back out to the car to plug in just to find out the chargers require an app plus an account to activate AND costs $2/hour. The hotel should not be shown on the tesla destination charger map when they do not have one and are lying about the price.
What hotel is this?

Unfortunately, in my experience, the only really useful information on public charging is on Plugshare and Tesla (for Superchargers). They aren't perfect but the other sources (primarily charging network and EV manufacturer websites/apps) are so inaccurate or incomplete that they are essentially useless.
Plugshare is only as good as we, the EV drivers, make it but, fortunately, we seen to collectively be a tenacious and scrappy bunch who do a fairly good job at keeping it up to date enough to be useful.
As far as finding a $2/hour charging opportunity at a hotel: Its still early in the proliferation of EVs and we generally need to be thankful for facilities installing chargers at all, even though, sometimes they feel they need to charge high prices in order to justify their expense.
It's easy to blame and complain about what someone charged, but think about all of the other hotels and establishments who didn't provide anything that was needed. I've paid a lot more than $2/hour in some remote place but was glad to have the option. After all, did anyone else provide a better option when and where it was needed?
If the price stings a bit: Just focus on how much money you save charging at home the rest of the time.

Reactions: RTPEV
Unfortunately, in my experience, the only really useful information on public charging is on Plugshare and Tesla (for Superchargers). They aren't perfect but the other sources (primarily charging network and EV manufacturer websites/apps) are so inaccurate or incomplete that they are essentially useless.
Mostly agree, but there is at least one notable exception: ChargePoint, which you can retrieve actual usage information from the app/site:

1716565438648.png

Unlike Plugshare where users may or may not check in a success or failure, ChargePoint does give you actual usage information which would give you a warm fuzzy that a station is actually active and if recently used (such as this example) that the station data on the app is actually up to date.

Not saying that ChargePoint is perfect either, but actually they are one of the better ones.

Reactions: RayK
Not saying that ChargePoint is perfect either, but actually they are one of the better ones.
Good point. If it is a ChargePoint station you've found to be a good candidate through plugshare, it can be beneficial to check their app to verify whether it is in use as well as this information on who has used last. For that matter, checking with EVgo, Blink, etc can be a help. I just find plugshare to be the first to check overall.

Reactions: RTPEV
Good point. If it is a ChargePoint station you've found to be a good candidate through plugshare, it can be beneficial to check their app to verify whether it is in use as well as this information on who has used last. For that matter, checking with EVgo, Blink, etc can be a help. I just find plugshare to be the first to check overall.
I think I could trust EVgo's live status. I'm not so sure about Blink. I want to, but with quite a few of their stations, they are mislabeled, in the wrong location, etc., wrong power listed, so I'm not quite at that point with Blink. EV Connect also seems fairly reliable with their live status, and the nice thing is that some of the other networks appear to be using EV Connect's back-end, so that's a good thing. And there are a bunch of really tiny networks that seem to have useful information in their apps, although they are tough to use. And they are very niche anyway.

Mostly agree, but there is at least one notable exception: ChargePoint, which you can retrieve actual usage information from the app/site:

View attachment 1050124

Unlike Plugshare where users may or may not check in a success or failure, ChargePoint does give you actual usage information which would give you a warm fuzzy that a station is actually active and if recently used (such as this example) that the station data on the app is actually up to date.

+1 A local ChargePoint DCFC is my usual charging source. It's about a mile from my house so I check the ChargePoint app before going there to see if the two stations are occupied. That much I can seem to depend on; the real-time usage has been spot-on. What may not be 100% reliable in my experience is the "Last Used" information. Some cars/sessions seem to be missed being logged. An example would be that the app reports one type of vehicle last using the station, but another that just left the station I was waiting for, is not reported. I've also not seen some of my own sessions recorded.

I rarely consult the PlugShare app around town but I do use it while traveling. I also have EVgo, EA, EVCS, Blink and ChargeHub apps on my phone, but again, those are mainly used when I'm on a long trip with unfamiliar charging locations.

edit: An exception to the 100% reliable real-time usage... I just remembered that recently one of the stations was reporting "No Status" but it was actually fully functional. So I took my chances driving there as the station could have been occupied but when I got there, it wasn't being used.

Last edited: