Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I miss something?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
I noticed that the Rudy's on 3406 in Round Rock has removed both the J1772 and Tesla destination chargers
Some time ago Georgetown pulled all of the Chargepoint J1772 chargers
No clue what drove those decisions but it seems rather short sighted.

• Informative
Reactions: Billstickers
yeah last Summer I had the humiliating experience of expecting to charge at Georgetown, was down to last 3 miles of range and there were no chargers anywhere within range... ended up having to ask places if they had a power outlet I could use with the slow charger that thankfully I still had in the frunk.

I also recently discovered the destination charger just South of Belton is no longer functional, so that's off the list of places to stay.

We stayed at a hotel in Cedar park a couple weeks ago, and they were in the process of changing out their clipper creek j1772 and Tesla destination chargers to “Vendavolt” chargers. Luckily they left one of the Tesla chargers, because the owner of the hotel drives a Tesla. The reason for the change was supposedly because people not staying at the hotel were using the chargers without asking.

We stayed at a hotel in Cedar park a couple weeks ago, and they were in the process of changing out their clipper creek j1772 and Tesla destination chargers to “Vendavolt” chargers. Luckily they left one of the Tesla chargers, because the owner of the hotel drives a Tesla. The reason for the change was supposedly because people not staying at the hotel were using the chargers without asking.
yep - that's why we can't have nice things.
The same thing was happening to the nice folks who run a B&B in Fredericksburg. Tesla owners were just showing up and charging, blocking B&B guests from parking. Thankfully they kept the destination chargers but locked them up behind a combination lock. Seems that some moochers are more entitled than others and get annoyed when free charging is taken away.

I don't understand the Georgetown thing at all. They removed all the Chargepoint chargers rather then just charging a fee. It seems like a no brainer to start charging fees to cover costs. But then its local government, logic rarely applies.

yep - that's why we can't have nice things.
The same thing was happening to the nice folks who run a B&B in Fredericksburg. Tesla owners were just showing up and charging, blocking B&B guests from parking. Thankfully they kept the destination chargers but locked them up behind a combination lock. Seems that some moochers are more entitled than others and get annoyed when free charging is taken away.

Yep that's why I always ask before plugging in, and buy something from the hosts if I am able to. I've purchased $3.00 water from hotels on several occasions. Businesses install these chargers with the hopes that it will attract more paying customers, and I want to prove to them and other prospective charging hosts that it works. Unfortunately, moochers have abused the hosts generosity.

In my example the host removed perfectly good chargers and installed a $2000.00 system that charges customers directly with built in card readers. Those card readers are exposed to the elements and will undoubtedly stop functioning in a year or so and require maintenance. Not to mention that the owner now has to give a percentage of the charging fee to the POS provider. It's really a loose-loose for both parties now.

Reactions: brkaus