Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you get PPF and Ceramic for your Model 3? [POLL]

Did you get PPF or Ceramic coat for your model 3?

• Yes, I got both

Votes: 56 42.7%
  • Nope, I got neither

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • I only got PPF

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I only got Ceramic

Votes: 15 11.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to PPF and then Ceramic myself because well, it's like $65 vs $1500 to DIY ceramic. How hard can it be, especially on a new car :)

But I'm not sure what the point of this post is either. You either care or you don't. I bet 90% of people do nothing (not necessarily on this forum).

Planning to PPF and then Ceramic myself because well, it's like $65 vs $1500 to DIY ceramic. How hard can it be, especially on a new car :)

But I'm not sure what the point of this post is either. You either care or you don't. I bet 90% of people do nothing (not necessarily on this forum).

That's what I'm thinking. I saw your sig and I'm getting white as well. I've been looking around but I can't find any white model 3 pics with rock chips in them. I'd like to know how bad they look.

I'm very interested to see the results of this poll. Right now I'm in the neither camp, partially because of $$$ and partially because my previous car didn't have it and turned out fine by the time I sold it. I did invest into tint though.

Given that this is a fan forum, I would certainly say that PPF/Cermaics will be more popular. But I do wonder of the whole Tesla population what would the makeup be, especially as more Model 3's get into people's hands.

You'll find budget to be the primary reason people don't PPF/ceramic. Secondary is for those that just don't care enough to wash their cars or try to keep their cars looking shiny & new.

I got front PPF and ceramic coating. PPF already saved 2 incidents (car scrape and rock chip), with no damage to the paint. So I got my money's worth.

There are levels of how far people take it for sure.

Good compromise appears to be full front PPF + ceramic coat.

It's not cheap, but a relatively small percentage of the total ownership cost to try and keep the car looking like the day you took it home.

People who add EAP, FSD etc are in for the long haul to keep the car for awhile.. 5 years + so averaging out PPF and ceramic is not so terrible considering that as well.

You'll find budget to be the primary reason people don't PPF/ceramic. Secondary is for those that just don't care enough to wash their cars or try to keep their cars looking shiny & new.
I'm lazy and don't wash my current car very often now, which is precisely why I plan to get PPF and ceramic on my Model 3. So that when I do decide to wash it, it'll look nice. Although I will probably wash this a bit more often my 2010 Corolla :D

keep the car looking like the day you took it home.
My car didn't come washed, so I want it looking better than when I took it home. I haven't washed it yet, I figure I'll let the PPF shop do it correctly in their own way.

I'm still waiting for my appt to get PPF and ceramic. Trying to drive it very often if at all, just got V9 this morning... this is torture.

• Funny
Reactions: redscott and forkee
Another interesting dynamic here could be the fact the Model 3 is a first step into a luxury vehicle for a lot of people; look at the vehicles traded in (was the most car I have ever bought). This may mean people are much more protective than on previous vehicles. Compared to say a BMW 3 series where many of them are 3-year leases for people who want a luxury vehicle but could car less about cars. Nothing against a 3 series, just most people I know who have an f10+ (curre generation) fall into this camp. Just my $.02.

TL;DR: I think at this point there are a ton more enthusiasts than general car buyers still. My PPF shop is doing 2 Tesla's for every non-Tesla right now.

• Informative
Reactions: owensd

Most of the money you are paying for is for the prep of installing the product. There is alot of knowledge that goes into correctly installing a ceramic coating in order to get it to adhere correctly and last.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
I wasn't going to do either, but 3 weeks after delivery I let my kids wash my car with the same microfiber cloth I used for my other car (big big mistake) and then went to AutoAction detailer for window tinting one day and they found lot of swirl and scratches on the hood when under the light. I ended up doing partial PPF on high impact areas and full ceramic pro 9H gold package. now it looks amazing but will wait and see how well it handles it and how good it looks.

“How hard can it be” is probably up there with “hold my beer” when it comes to things said before bad *sugar* happens lol.

I think shops will pop up saying I will coat your car in Modesta for 500 bucks if parts and labor would be that cheap and could yield a profit.

The reasoning they haven’t does say something about the costs. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: SomeJoe7777
Living in the midwest where it's snowing and the salt, what's more preferred? Ceramic or PPF? How do I protect my wheels and paint from salt damage
If you take some salt and gravel and grind it into the paint, ceramic coating is not going to help you at all.

If you want to protect your paint from scratches use PPF, if you want it shiny and easy to clean then ceramic coating. If both then ceramic coating on top of PPF.

You'd still have to worry about corrosion in places that are getting salt and water (and not being washed off).

We got PPF front end done on both. My wife wants easy maintenance, so I applied ceramic coating on hers. Ymmv, but it was pretty easy to do so I don't see a need to pay $900+ for a detailer to do it. So easy to wash and/or use a quick detailer.

I actually enjoy maintaining my car. So even though the ceramic coating on the wifey's car works great, I applied sealant and wax on mine. I like the look of the combination much better than with ceramic coating and I don't mind applying wax quarterly and sealant semi-annually.