Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diff between Gen 2 mobile charger & Corded Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there is a nema 14-50 wall plug (similar to you have a nema 5-15 (or 5-20 ) wall plug which is the regular plug you recognize in your home). just like you have a toaster or something that plugs in to a regular outlet and has either a 2 prong or 3 prong male plug that goes into a female outlet, 14-50 works the same way from a usage stand point.

The difference from a usage standpoint is the shape of the plugs are different, to prevent things that are not supposed to be plugged into them from being plugged into them.

NEMA connector - Wikipedia

14-50 is simply a type of wall plug from a consumer point of view. From the "wiring" point of view it has different requirements than your regular wall plug but if you are having someone install it you dont need to worry about that part.
Great! i am having a union electrician do all the work

there is a nema 14-50 wall plug (similar to you have a nema 5-15 (or 5-20 ) wall plug which is the regular plug you recognize in your home). just like you have a toaster or something that plugs in to a regular outlet and has either a 2 prong or 3 prong male plug that goes into a female outlet, 14-50 works the same way from a usage stand point.

The difference from a usage standpoint is the shape of the plugs are different, to prevent things that are not supposed to be plugged into them from being plugged into them.

NEMA connector - Wikipedia

14-50 is simply a type of wall plug from a consumer point of view. From the "wiring" point of view it has different requirements than your regular wall plug but if you are having someone install it you dont need to worry about that part.
i just read all the info that was in the wiki about the plug...i get it now..can't wait to inform all my GFs of this new dynamic in my life...they will be soo excited :/ NOT!!
additionally, the differences in all the plugs is why my hse sitter asked for a picture of the plug i will be using to show the electrician! I"M SO INFORMED!!! YIKES

i just read all the info that was in the wiki about the plug...i get it now..can't wait to inform all my GFs of this new dynamic in my life...they will be soo excited :/ NOT!!
additionally, the differences in all the plugs is why my hse sitter asked for a picture of the plug i will be using to show the electrician! I"M SO INFORMED!!! YIKES

Right. The electrician needs to know what you plan on plugging in so they know what plug to install for you. from a consumer (you) point of view, you just need to make sure the electrician knows what you want to install.

One thing of note (since you mentioned saving money) is that sometimes, for electricians, the word "tesla" ups the charge for the same thing.... meaning that its entirely possible that if you ask for a "plug for my new tesla" you will receive a different price than asking for "a 14-50 plug in my garage", because that 14-50 outlet could be for a welder or some other piece of equipment. For some electricians "tesla" = "someone with a lot of money I can charge extra to because they have money and likely wont care".

Not all, but some. in my case, I went with a tesla recommended electrician in my area. They were more expensive (probably $150 more) but I wanted someone who had installed hundreds of wall connectors, and I wanted all the permits pulled etc. Because an EV is going to be the highest continuous electrical draw in your house (and will expose any issues with your wiring, and if not installed correctly could cause issues up to and including a fire) It was worth it for me to pay "extra" and have them pull all permits.

if something happened / happens, I wanted to be able to confidently state "I did everything right, I pulled the permits, etc.. so there should be no issues with my homeowners claim". That was worth an extra $150 for me for peace of mind.

Anyway, everyone differs on what, if anything, that type of thing is worth. You want to think of this as a mini home improvement in my opinion. However you source people for that should guide you on this type of install (or DIY).