Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Gen 2 charger, been using mobile connector, do a need a Gen 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
Sold my Gen 2 charger, been using mobile connector, do a need a Gen 3?

So I installed a Gen 3 on the right side of my wife's MY, and it's working great. I really like the smaller cord and the wifi features are cool, but I don't think they're necessary. I picked up a Gen 3 and it's still in the box, and I'm wondering...do I need one or should I just keep using the mobile connector, and move my 14-50 from the old wall, install that, and use my mobile connector on the 50A? Pros/Cons? I'm going to try my hand at drywall and fill that pillar in with a nice smooth strip and paint it or at least prime it. Either way, what do you think? Install the Gen 3 or the 14-50 and use M/C? Jeez those doors look terrible up close.

wall connector.jpg

Hah. I did both. This way I have a backup if the MC (WC) ever goes south.

View attachment 1003880
That’s a nice clean, setup! Nicely done on the back up plug.

I need new garage doors like yours (very nice) but we’ve got a reno planned (covid delayed) and we want to remove the centre pillar and have one big door. It’s going to be a super wide door, but I just love the ease of access with the wider opening. Going to have to figure out what I’m going to do with the charger probably move it up high and have the cord hanging down.

Was just given a Gen 3 Wall Connector. Friend passed away and wife didn't need it anymore. Anyway, found it has a 20' cable (I thought they were supposed to be 24'...), thus am keeping our Mobil Connector. Can't see any advantage one unit over the other.

Rich
Well, the mobile connector tops out at 32amp; the 3rd gen WC does 48 … so there’s that.

Reactions: easyev
Yeah, I know. But 32amps is plenty fast for me and I like the flexibility of having that NEMA 14-50 outlet in the event a connector goes toes up.

Rich

I hope the "weak sauce" piece of my explanation came through ok -- I was saying that as about the only real-world reason I could see to change... and even that's pretty weak. As long as it's charged by morning, it really doesn't matter.

I agree - having the 14-50 is nice; you can use it for anything.

The only real argument I'd make for the HPWC (and why I have two...) is when charging is done outdoors. I just find it a little "cleaner" for outdoor stations. Inside the garage - doesn't mean a thing!

Not a big deal, but Tesla added gen 3 wall connectors to the app. You can input your utility time of use rate plan into the system to more accurately calculate your charging costs and integrate with powerwall/solar.

It would be $20 in parts and 20 min if you wanted to switch to an outlet from WC.

Reactions: easyev
I know, I like the app monitoring of the wall connecter slightly higher charging rate. On the other hand in my city, we’ve got some ultra low rates of 2.8 cents per kilowatt hour after 11 PM which is when I set our charging to start. Why not save a few dollars?!

Back to my original post… Should I mount my new WC Gen 3 or just put in a 14-50 and use the connecter. I was thinking of filling in the area with a bit of drywall and getting a bracket to hang the cord around for a nice clean look.

are two wall connecters in a double car garage garage, excessive? I tend to overdue things, I’m trying to dial it back a bit, but it’s hard. 😉