Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between PPF, Ceramic Coat, XPEL, Etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright... I just picked up my Long Range AWD M3 and I’d like to protect the exterior. I have seen a ton of comments about PPF, Ceramic, Clear Bra, XPEL, paint correction, etc. Frankly, I just don’t know enough about them and the differences.

Which did you do?
Which do you recommend?
What’s a typical price range on them?

In the past, I’ve done Diamond Gloss at Ziebart and some clear bra on the front of the car. Anyone else use Ziebart for their Tesla?

So you are basically talking about three different things here.

Paint correction is exactly what it sounds like. Once a car spends time in the world and gets washed it ends up with swirls and other micro scratches. Paint correction with a buffer and compound done right can remove these imperfections, but your paint needs protection after they are removed.

You have a few options to protect the paint. Standard car waxes and sealants which vary in lifespan, ceramic or PPF.

Ceramic is just a fancy name for a paint coating that seals the paint and makes it look glossy. It might protect from very minor micro scratches, and it will reduce the amount of contaminants that can adhere to the paint, and it will last a long time. It is not magic though and it is not actually made of ceramic, it's a polymer coating that is professionally applied. Ceramic coatings will NOT prevent rock chips no matter what anyone tells you.

PPF (paint protection film) is clear bra. It has come a LONG way in the last couple decades. Xpel is one of the brands of PPF available. I would say these days Suntek and Xpel are the leading PPFs. They are both self-healing, which means minor scratches and gouges will disappear just by pouring warm water on the surface or letting it sit in the sun. Suntek comes with ceramic coating already applied to it and IMO has less "orange peel" look than Xpel does. They are very similar though overall.

I personally had the entire hood, bumper cover, fenders, and headlights covered in Suntek PPF a few days after I picked up my car. You can hardly tell it's on there and has prevented any damage from debris being kicked up in the winter here.

So you are basically talking about three different things here.

Paint correction is exactly what it sounds like. Once a car spends time in the world and gets washed it ends up with swirls and other micro scratches. Paint correction with a buffer and compound done right can remove these imperfections, but your paint needs protection after they are removed.

You have a few options to protect the paint. Standard car waxes and sealants which vary in lifespan, ceramic or PPF.

Ceramic is just a fancy name for a paint coating that seals the paint and makes it look glossy. It might protect from very minor micro scratches, and it will reduce the amount of contaminants that can adhere to the paint, and it will last a long time. It is not magic though and it is not actually made of ceramic, it's a polymer coating that is professionally applied. Ceramic coatings will NOT prevent rock chips no matter what anyone tells you.

PPF (paint protection film) is clear bra. It has come a LONG way in the last couple decades. Xpel is one of the brands of PPF available. I would say these days Suntek and Xpel are the leading PPFs. They are both self-healing, which means minor scratches and gouges will disappear just by pouring warm water on the surface or letting it sit in the sun. Suntek comes with ceramic coating already applied to it and IMO has less "orange peel" look than Xpel does. They are very similar though overall.

I personally had the entire hood, bumper cover, fenders, and headlights covered in Suntek PPF a few days after I picked up my car. You can hardly tell it's on there and has prevented any damage from debris being kicked up in the winter here.
This is great! I appreciate the response.
Did you ceramic after the PPF? That’s a thing, yeah?

vogz has a great response above.

I did PPF and a ceramic coating on both of my Model 3's. The PPF I did is a "partial" PPF, covering only the front bumper, headlights, side mirrors, and hood. These are the areas where 95% of the rock chips happen. Then I had the entire car ceramic coated to make it easy to clean and protect it from contaminants like pollen, bird droppings, etc.

Any professional PPF and ceramic coating dealer should also be able to do proper paint correction before applying the PPF or ceramic coating. If the dealer says they apply it without doing the paint correction, go somewhere else.

Just a note that Suntek and Llumar are the same product.

• Informative
Reactions: vogz

Since my Suntek PPF already had a ceramic coating applied to it from the factory, I did not. I do my own detailing and have for years. I personally am not a huge fan of ceramic because it's up front cost is very large and once it's applied you can't correct any areas that get swirled up or scratched from daily use without removing the ceramic and having it re-applied (also expensive). The benefit to ceramic is that it's an "apply and forget" protectant because it can last years.

For me personally, I love cleaning and detailing my cars so I have no problem re-applying protectants every 6 months or so. Right now my favorite product is Turtle Wax ICE Seal & Shine (spray polymer coating). Once I have the paint clean, free of contaminants, and corrected, I apply Seal & Shine. The spray bottle is about $10. It's super easy to apply and remove, has a very deep gloss, and lasts a surprisingly long time. It also gets rave reviews from professional detailers.

Yes. Didn’t originally plan on it. But I got some tree sap on it that had to be buffed out of the PPF. The detailer suggested ceramic over it, and car has been beautiful for 5 years since. Seemed ironic to put a coat over the coat... Everything washes right off, and Ppf has protected the paint.

Last edited:
Given how soft the Tesla paint is, IMO it is very important to keep it clean and protect it from day one of ownership. But what type of protection you choose depends on your budget, your preferences, and how much work you want to put into it.

The least expensive option would be to apply traditional sealants and waxes. Vogz mentioned Turtle Wax Seal and Shine. This is a great example of an effective polymer sealant that also has some carnauba wax in it. At $10 a bottle, this is an amazing value. This will protect your paint from dirt, contanminants, and bird bombs. But it will need to be reapplied every 3 or 4 months. Traditional car waxes with carnauba offer the best gloss and "warmth", but they are the least durable. They also degrade faster in warmer climates. Some people like to apply both a polymer sealant and a wax. For example, first you could apply Menzurna Powerlock Sealant, allow it to cure, and then apply a quality carnauba wax such as Collinite 845. If you do this, always apply the sealant first, and then the wax on top.

Paint Protection Film is the only form of protection that protects from rock chips, scratches, and swirls. As others mentioned, PPF has self-healing properties. No other product on the market provides this unique type of protection. However, it is the most expensive option. I paid $5K to do a whole-car PPF. You can also do a cheaper partial PPF, covering only the most susceptible areas such as the front bumper, rocker panels, and hood.

Ceramic coatings can be thought of as a very very durable sealant or wax. They provide high levels of gloss, protection, and hydrophobic properties. Ceramic coatings can last 2 or more years, but you do need to apply a ceramic boost spray once every few weeks to maximize the life and effects of the ceramic coatings. There are some cheaper DIY coatings and there are more expensive and more durable professionally installed ceramic coatings.

If you want maximum protection and don't care about the expense, you can do a whole car PPF and then do a ceramic coating on top of the PPF.

One last point. If your car is new and has only very minor scratches or swirls and you plan on doing a whole car PPF, you may not need to do any type of paint correction. The adhesive from the PPF will fill in the scratches and swirls. Once the PPF dries, the paint will appear scratch and swirl free. But if you do a partial PPF or if you do a ceramic coating with no PPF, it is imperative that you do a paint polish and, if needed, compound to correct any swirls or scratches first. Once your ceramic coating is applied, it will seal in any imperfections in the paint. So if you have swirls or scratches below the ceramic coating, those swirls and scratches will remain there until the ceramic coating either wears off in 2 or 3 years, or by doing a compound with a polisher. This would of course require a reapplication of the ceramic coating.

Here are a couple helpful videos I put up on other posts. Hope you find them helpful.

Reactions: XPEL and vogz
A little off topic but related to PPF.

Anyone here that have relatively long mileage Model 3, or use it for normal 25+ miles commute without PPF? How is the rock chip condition? I'm buying an used model 3 from a colleague and he doesn't have PPF on the car. The first time I saw the car the front does not look too bad, but curious how does the model 3 front holds up against rock chips on the road?

I know some cars designed a little sportier tend to be rock chip magnet so curious if Model 3 is design the same. Thanks

M
A little off topic but related to PPF.

Anyone here that have relatively long mileage Model 3, or use it for normal 25+ miles commute without PPF? How is the rock chip condition? I'm buying an used model 3 from a colleague and he doesn't have PPF on the car. The first time I saw the car the front does not look too bad, but curious how does the model 3 front holds up against rock chips on the road?

I know some cars designed a little sportier tend to be rock chip magnet so curious if Model 3 is design the same. Thanks

Model 3 is a rock chip magnet. That’s why nearly every owner seems to recommend doing PPF

really naive question: does the pff require any additional work other than washings to keep it looking great? In other words, once laid down do you apply any wax on top after xx months?
Yes. Ceramic coating on top. If you get pro job done, should be good for 5 years. If you DIY on the ceramic, you will need to reapply more often. Other than that, just wash.

I just got Suntek PPF on my entire front end. My dad got Xpel on just the bumper and 18" up the hood. I have to say, do the entire hood otherwise you can really tell the bra is on there. My suntek had far less orange peel look. I am really impressed and can't tell there's anything on it. I also got a ceramic pro nano coating. The coating makes my car super shiny and I feel protected with the PPF. Was well worth the money.
Whole front end and rockers Suntek PPF 1775$ 10yr warranty
Ceramic coating 1000$ 5 yr warranty

really naive question: does the pff require any additional work other than washings to keep it looking great? In other words, once laid down do you apply any wax on top after xx months?

The PPF manufacturers do recommend applying a sealant on top of the PPF to maintain the PPF and to make it easier to clean. Most PPF manufacturers make and sell their own sealants to put on top of PPF.

Many people apply a ceramic coating on top of the PPF, but that is not required. I personally apply a spray sealant on top of my PPF once every 3 months. You can use something as cheap and simple as the before-mentioned Turtle Wax Seal and Shine. I personally use a ceramic-infused spray sealant such as The Last Coat 2.0 or Hyper Seal by Opti-Coat. Just make sure that whatever sealant you use it is PPF safe. You never want to apply a sealant or wax to PPF that contains naphtha or kerosene.

I just got PPF and ceramic coating and am completely bummed about how it turned out. Nobody informed me there would be all these seams on my car, which now collect dirt. Should have done the proper research to determine that PPF is not a wrap, but comes in pieces, leaving seams. Which are bigger depending on the installers (mine shall remain nameless). This is so ugly and I definitely would not have taken this protective measure if I had known this would be the result. Anybody want to tell me if I got jipped? ($2400 install price).

I would discourage anyone else from doing this to their car.
IMG_1755.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1742.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG

I just got PPF and ceramic coating and am completely bummed about how it turned out. Nobody informed me there would be all these seams on my car, which now collect dirt. Should have done the proper research to determine that PPF is not a wrap, but comes in pieces, leaving seams. Which are bigger depending on the installers (mine shall remain nameless). This is so ugly and I definitely would not have taken this protective measure if I had known this would be the result. Anybody want to tell me if I got jipped? ($2400 install price).

I would discourage anyone else from doing this to their car. View attachment 625325 View attachment 625334 View attachment 625327 View attachment 625330

Some installers do a custom job with no seams. Most will use a precut kit and the seams will be visible. A custom job is usually significantly more expensive since it’s more time consuming.

Reactions: arie21014
  • Got KAVACA PPF on entire front of car. Bumper, hood, fenders, lights, mirrors, and rear luggage area. Custom cuts, with good bit of wrap around edges, especially on hood.
  • Then got entire car ceramic coating. They threw in front seats
  • Also Ceramic tint on all windows, and windshield (didn't get roof glass)
$3,800 total entered me into their lifetime CeramicPro gold plan. Which means I bring it in once every year $200 touchups, to keep warranty.
expensive, but I do have a peace of mind knowing I am doing everything I can to keep the look of the car as new, and looking nice.

It is a $50k+ car, it is worth it.