TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Different types of "electric" vehicles

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by arnis, Apr 6, 2020.

1. arnis

arnis Member

I've been dealing with confusion of different types of "electrified" vehicles for years now.
    Some "clever" manufacturers have even used misleading terms to sell their fossil fuel powered vehicles as electric ones.
    I did my best to make one comprehensive list (though I had to remove some reasonable explanations/assumptions
    as "assumptions are not allowed by policy").

Vehicle classification by propulsion system - Wikipedia

Definitely with spelling and style mishaps, hope to get some feedback.
    Does anybody know any OTHER type of car/bicycle/vehicle that doesn't fit any of those propulsion systems?
    I definitely want a FULL list there.

When the list is complete (science is never final) with easy to understand explanations I hope one more Wiki article will be helpful. Confusion postpones adoption :oops:

2. arnis

arnis Member

Question 1:

What is the difference between Plugin Electric Vehicle and Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle if we consider definitions mentioned here as being true?
    Plug-in electric vehicle - Wikipedia

I say it is incorrect. I say correct definition is:
    PEV is a subset of EV that drives on stored electrical power that is acquired from grid.

Example:
    This is an EV and not PEV:
    [​IMG]
    This is a PEV (and also EV and also BEV).
    [​IMG]

So usually all PEV-s are BEV-s? At least for now.

3. Tessaract

Tessaract Member

I suppose one could postulate a PEV where the electricity is used to generate H2 from electrolyzing water on board the vehicle, then running the vehicle on H2 by means of a fuel cell. This PEV would not contain a battery (at least not an electrochemical battery in the conventional sense). Although this example is a little far fetched, and perhaps not even very practical, it is certainly possible to build such a contraption. And it's potential existence would indicate that the definition of PEV should be merely a electric vehicle that obtains energy by means of being plugged in. Doesn't matter if the energy is stored in a battery or some other means.

4. arnis

arnis Member

Though that thing would, in addition to PEV, be PFCEV as well. Therefore PFCEV is a subset of PEV and also subset of FCEV?
    I thing we need a HUGE :eek:Venn diagram:)

5. Tessaract

Tessaract Member

I think the classification system is actually fairly simple, conceptually: The classification has 4 components: {plug/no plug, storage type, alternate source, electrified or not}. The field types have at least the following elements: {[P,blank],[B,FC,blank],[blank, H], [EV, blank]}. SO choosing from one alternative in each of the 4 categories results in the acronym. (Here "blank" should be understood as "no character" rather than "space").

And yes, a vehicle can be a subset of one or more supersets of vehicles, because conceptually, vehicle classification is not a tree, since there are independent attributes.