Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirty sock/mildew scent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if anyone has SEEN this "fan comes on after getting out of the car" trick. If not it's either just a rumor and not something real, or someone needs to do a YouTube video

I did this yesterday, got new filters, and bought some of that spray. It was pretty easy, if/when I have to do it again I could do it in about 10 minutes (minus the time sitting and waiting for the spray to do it's thing) But the smell as far as I can tell is gone, and it has a slight minty scent.

Also, a little background, I took delivery April 2019, I noticed the smell in about June of this year and the smell started to get worse about a month or so ago, I live in St. Louis where it's pretty hot and humid and it's been a decently wet spring/summer. I have my car set to overheat protection - No A/C, I only try to run without recirc, I usually turn off my A/C when I get in my garage at home.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: israndy and ModLTh3
Speaking from past experiences with other cars, when the AC is used in recirculate mode, the smell you are describing is common. Try this... after you have completed a drive, deactivate the recirculate mode (put in in fresh mode) while the car is parked. It may take several times for it to eventually clear up. This allows the fresh air valve to be open to the outside air vs, being closed off to only the interior, cabin air.
I try to use fresh air mode when possible while driving to help reduce the occurrences of this happening, depending on the outside air temp, and other factors.
I always ensure climate is set to fresh air mode and have never experienced mildew/foul smell. Forget recycling the cabin air.

Reactions: NorCal1
After a year it has returned for me, it's mild though but I plan on fixing it this week. I did not change my filters last year. I just sprayed the filters and coils with Vital Oxide and reinstalled, then a week or two later hit it with recirculate, heat set to HI and an ozone generator. I have a spare set of OEM Tesla filters on hand which I'll swap out since these have 2 years/30,000 miles on them.

When it is over 90 F outside I do recirculate the air to save energy, auto mode pretty much does this most of the time. It did not start until I was working in my car and turned the entire HVAC off after it was cooling for a bit. That may have prevented the system from drying itself out.

I always ensure climate is set to fresh air mode and have never experienced mildew/foul smell. Forget recycling the cabin air.

Is it just me or does the automatic setting always revert to recirculate? I have to frequently shut off the recirculate option- would be nice to have a preference option on that.

Reactions: Noodles
I had hoped the software fix would help, but despite me doing my cleanse in February, I basically never ran the A/C until maybe June. I also turn the AC off and recirc off before I park the car (most times). It really is a shame they can't solve this, all of my previous cars which are many have never had this issue. I mean a 12 year old car, maybe, but I've never had a car <6 years old ever have A/C funk smells. That said, if I have to do filters and evap clean it 1-2 times per year, I can live with that. It's less hassle than an annual service as I can do it in 15-20 minutes for $30 in parts/supplies.

I totally agree with you on the cleaning twice a year. Shouldn't be a big deal on a car that you never have to bother with oil changes, Right? Except... when you live 80 minutes from the nearest service center, they won't do this as a mobile service, appointments are 3-4 weeks in advance, the appointment is a multi-day service (according to the local center), and they won't coordinate a 'possible' loaner until you are at your appointment... Gotta learn how to do this myself ...

I totally agree with you on the cleaning twice a year. Shouldn't be a big deal on a car that you never have to bother with oil changes, Right? Except... when you live 80 minutes from the nearest service center, they won't do this as a mobile service, appointments are 3-4 weeks in advance, the appointment is a multi-day service (according to the local center), and they won't coordinate a 'possible' loaner until you are at your appointment... Gotta learn how to do this myself ...

Despite writing a scathing email, I was told this is NOT covered under warranty and was sent an estimate of $160, so I just did it myself. <$30 in parts, maybe 20 minutes of work.

I live in Northeast Indiana, which has very cold winters and very hot summers. I got my Tesla model 3 in October 2018. I went through the entire summer of 2019 with no smelly AC problems. The milldewy, stinky feet smell only started after I read an online forum tip that suggested turning on AC air recirculation to boost AC efficiency. So, I started using AC in recirculated air mode and and it definitely did improve the cooling capability of the car, but it also started this mildew smell problem. I’ve read some comments here about turning off AC air recirculation. On your climate control panel, it is the oval shaped icon just to the right of the fan speed control arrows. I turned off my AC recirculation mode and the mildew problem completely resolved with no need to clean the evaporator coil or change the cabin air filters. This is purely a moisture retention problem and turning off the AC recirculation mode and also running the fan without AC for the last five minutes or so of your drive will help reduce this problem. I understand and acknowledge that this may be more of a problem in areas with even higher humidity that lasts longer throughout the year.

Is it just me or does the automatic setting always revert to recirculate? I have to frequently shut off the recirculate option- would be nice to have a preference option on that.
Is does during summer months when ambient temperature is over 90F. If I pre-cool the cabin for a couple minutes if parked outside all day (ex. at the office) recirc is disabled when I enter the car.

Tesla quoted me about $200 to replace the filter. I rather replace filter by myself. Who has the best DIY instruction on repalcing model 3 filters?

Replacing the filters is super easy, literally 1 minute job. There are countless YouTube videos. The cleaning of the coil is a bit more involved and requires getting your body into an unusual configuration to be able to get back there.