Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing experience with lease return

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming from the guy who rarely has anything positive to say about Tesla on this forum, I fail to see how Tesla has done anything wrong here.

When you lease a vehicle, you agree to return it without damage. You damaged the car and then pocketed the insurance check that was meant to repair the car. None of this is Tesla's fault.

Now you want them to do what, eat the repairs that you already got paid for from your insurance company?

If the check your insurance company cut you wasn't enough to cover the repairs, you would have gone back to them to get the adjustment to cover the damages. Instead you took the lazy way out and pocketed the check they gave you without repairing the car.

This is fully on you and why you expect Tesla to do anything about this is beyond me. This is one of the negatives to leasing an automobile is you need to keep it pristine for return.
They overcharged for repairs. What if they said $14000 for same repairs?

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I know this is an old thread, but since @mattnis revived it I'm curious how it ended. But also why did @ozweepay return the car. Could have just bought out the lease and been $15-20K positive equity. Then you can either make the repairs and resell at full price or sell with the damage and still come out positive. My MS lease was set to expire this month, I bought it out in August 2021 for this reason.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
They overcharged for repairs. What if they said $14000 for same repairs?
That assumes they did. There are rules about this sort of thing:

Rule #1: Don't lease a car. Ever.

Rule #2: If you ignore rule #1, take your car in before the lease us up for inspection. If they point anything out, get it fixed. You agreed to the terms which included condition so, if you have concerns about the ethics of who you're entering into an agreement with, don't enter into the agreement in the first place.

Rule #3: See rule #1

That assumes they did. There are rules about this sort of thing:

Rule #1: Don't lease a car. Ever.

Rule #2: If you ignore rule #1, take your car in before the lease us up for inspection. If they point anything out, get it fixed. You agreed to the terms which included condition so, if you have concerns about the ethics of who you're entering into an agreement with, don't enter into the agreement in the first place.

Rule #3: See rule #1
Certain cars lend themselves better to leasing than buying. Tesla is not one of those.

Certain cars lend themselves better to leasing than buying. Tesla is not one of those.
I guess it depends on what you value. I’ve bought and leased multiple Teslas, and shifted to leasing primarily to 1) enjoy the latest tech improvements every 3 years, and 2) avoid owning an out of warranty car. Teslas are like a very expensive iPhone. Some people want to maximize value from the expenditure and use them until obsolete, and others want the latest and greatest. However I realize the economics of personal leasing don’t make sense.

I guess it depends on what you value. I’ve bought and leased multiple Teslas, and shifted to leasing primarily to 1) enjoy the latest tech improvements every 3 years, and 2) avoid owning an out of warranty car. Teslas are like a very expensive iPhone. Some people want to maximize value from the expenditure and use them until obsolete, and others want the latest and greatest. However I realize the economics of personal leasing don’t make sense.
Tax credit though? (Before it sunset)