Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with Tesla Collision Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you ain't buying a car because the collision centers are busy? Okay.
You almost got it! The lack of centers is a key reason why repairs are so expensive, which in turn is why insurance rates are so high (please google this before disputing).
As if ANY collision center can repair a vehicle in days, 10 years ago, they kept my Subaru in for 3-4 months.
For what value we can glean from anecdotes, in the past few years I've had a rear-end on a 2022 Ram repaired, and a parking-lot collision on a 2018 Volvo repaired within a week. The appointments were not immediate (2-4 weeks if I recall correctly), and they held the vehicle for no more than a week fixing several thousand in damage each time. Those were the return appointments. The appointments to estimate damage were within a few days, and the timeline was largely them waiting for parts to come in.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: GOVA
You almost got it! The lack of centers is a key reason why repairs are so expensive, which in turn is why insurance rates are so high (please google this before disputing).

For what value we can glean from anecdotes, in the past few years I've had a rear-end on a 2022 Ram repaired, and a parking-lot collision on a 2018 Volvo repaired within a week. The appointments were not immediate (2-4 weeks if I recall correctly), and they held the vehicle for no more than a week fixing several thousand in damage each time. Those were the return appointments. The appointments to estimate damage were within a few days, and the timeline was largely them waiting for parts to come in.
Really?

I see we are done rating each other posts. Now, provide a reliable source of your opinion, do tell why this matters. If not, don't state it as fact.
Why - well, it is your claim. Don't ask me to google anything to support your opinion. Your call.

Full coverage on my 2014 P85D is over $2,000/yr and collision is nearly $1,300 of that. I'm 50+ with no accidents and collisions, etc. At this point, I'm going to cancel my collision coverage. If I had damage like the OP, I wouldn't submit it because it could literally total the car. I would fix it myself. The whole 'Tesla approved body shops' is a complete scam. The shops have accreditation with the AHJ. Let them decide if they want to work on Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: EatsShoots
Full coverage on my 2014 P85D is over $2,000/yr and collision is nearly $1,300 of that. I'm 50+ with no accidents and collisions, etc. At this point, I'm going to cancel my collision coverage. If I had damage like the OP, I wouldn't submit it because it could literally total the car. I would fix it myself. The whole 'Tesla approved body shops' is a complete scam. The shops have accreditation with the AHJ. Let them decide if they want to work on Teslas.
In my city of 1M (including suburbs) we have just the one shop, and not only will no other shop work on collision damage, but I struggled to even find a paint shop that would be willing to do work. I did, after calling multiple places, find a small shop that was willing to spray a panel for me if I brought it in. The closest mechanic to me will not do tires on a tesla, either.

I commented to my wife this morning I think we got a steal on our model 3 for what we paid, but it's important for people to understand there are some unique challenges with ownership as well. I can only assume owners of rivians and lucids have the same issues but far more intensely.

Reactions: mr_hyde

And there's a lot of Tesla repairs that are done quickly as well.

The lack of repair center isn't the reason why repairs are so expensive. You go Google it. It's, as many cars today, things like unibody and things that save your life. In the past, a head-on collision probably meant that you died. Today, you live, car dies.

And there's a lot of Tesla repairs that are done quickly as well.

The lack of repair center isn't the reason why repairs are so expensive. You go Google it. It's, as many cars today, things like unibody and things that save your life. In the past, a head-on collision probably meant that you died. Today, you live, car dies.
All passenger vehicles are unibody, though, and have been for many years.

Looking more I see a number of factors, from supply chain (parts), to higher likelihood of them being involved in an accident, to low threshold for total loss (applicable to many EVs). I don't see lack of repair centers a significant factor, though it still makes sense to me that more would result in lower repair costs.

I had another quote recently to go from a 2022 nearly-maxed out rav4 hybrid (cost low 40's) to a base model y (same price) and insurance wanted about double the monthly rate of the toyota.