Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

DIY Repair Curb Rash on my 21" Uberturbine Wheel.

In case you didn’t know, be careful using smart summon pulling your car in and out of a spot next to a curb because the side cameras will not “see” the curb.
Just got a nice curb rash on my rim but managed to fix it myself for $28 with Dremmel, sandpaper and some spray paint from Home Depot.
Here are before and after pics and a YT link.

Took about 1 hour not includibg paint drying time in between. Wasn’t hard at all...except for my slightly bruised ego.

Curb Rash Before.jpg
Curb Rash After.jpg

Looks great! Can’t even blame mine on summon, just a lot of parallel parking... Might be a dumb question, but couldn’t you have started right away with the spraying after the initial sanding, instead of using the brush?

Thanks! I had to use the brush to cover the bare metal first and use as light of a coat of spray paint as possible just in case the color doesn't match too well (which wasn't the case).

Liran

Jul 10, 2021
Israel
In case you didn’t know, be careful using smart summon pulling your car in and out of a spot next to a curb because the side cameras will not “see” the curb.
Just got a nice curb rash on my rim but managed to fix it myself for $28 with Dremmel, sandpaper and some spray paint from Home Depot.
Here are before and after pics and a YT link.

Took about 1 hour not includibg paint drying time in between. Wasn’t hard at all...except for my slightly bruised ego.

View attachment 653579View attachment 653581
Looks very professional work. Can you share the color code. I have 2021 performance rims and can’t find the matching color

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
@spdracer888 hey there, wondering if you can help me out. I got a small knick on my Tesla Model Y Performance Uberturbine rim and i wanted to get the Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Paint & Primer - Carbon Mist but home depot being a pain and i cant seem to find it anywhere around me within reasonable distance (closest store is 50 miles away, wtf). Is there anything else i can use instead thats simple to buy?

i am waiting on this Amazon.com per different post. but you seem to have the closes and best fix so i wanted to get your 2c.

@spdracer888 hey there, wondering if you can help me out. I got a small knick on my Tesla Model Y Performance Uberturbine rim and i wanted to get the Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Paint & Primer - Carbon Mist but home depot being a pain and i cant seem to find it anywhere around me within reasonable distance (closest store is 50 miles away, wtf). Is there anything else i can use instead thats simple to buy?

i am waiting on this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HE66OK8/ per different post. but you seem to have the closes and best fix so i wanted to get your 2c.
Yeah, I can't find that color either. I'm guessing it was discontinued, so I sent an email to Rust-Oleum to see if there is a replacement color but have yet to hear back. I'll share whatever they tell me, though.

i am waiting on this Amazon.com per different post. but you seem to have the closes and best fix so i wanted to get your 2c.

Yeah, I can't find that color either. I'm guessing it was discontinued, so I sent an email to Rust-Oleum to see if there is a replacement color but have yet to hear back. I'll share whatever they tell me, though.

It's still available at the stores by me:

• Informative
Reactions: thesmokingman

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC