Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we need a CCS adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only you can answer that. Look on routes you might think you will travel, and see if superchargers cover them adequately enough for you. I bought one previously, and I knew I didnt "need" it, because I like to be prepared in the vehicle.

If thats you, buy one. If not, evaluate your potential routes and buy if there are CCS stations you might want to charge at on those routes.

If you must have a simple recommendation, Mine is "No".

Out of spec just did a video where a Tesla Supercharger station went completely dead in California while he was waiting to charge an i7 at EA. The EA station was having typical EA problems as well but 2/4 CCS cabinets were still working. Tesla cars were stranded with no option if they didn’t have enough to make it to another supercharger.

Rare occurrence for Superchargers to be down but a CCS adapter would save you in this kind of situation.

Reactions: -Amanda
Out of spec just did a video where a Tesla Supercharger station went completely dead in California while he was waiting to charge an i7 at EA. The EA station was having typical EA problems as well but 2/4 CCS cabinets were still working. Tesla cars were stranded with no option if they didn’t have enough to make it to another supercharger.

Rare occurrence for Superchargers to be down but a CCS adapter would save you in this kind of situation.

I dont watch online videos unless I am trying to do something specific (so I dont follow "youtubers" for example). With that being said, I have heard of this particular youtuber but not of that situation. Where was the station? I am surprised I have not heard of "all superchargers down" mentioned before this.

• Love
Reactions: buckets0fun
I dont watch online videos unless I am trying to do something specific (so I dont follow "youtubers" for example). With that being said, I have heard of this particular youtuber but not of that situation. Where was the station? I am surprised I have not heard of "all superchargers down" mentioned before this.
Don’t remember exactly but it was somewhere in central California. Not sure how long it was out for either but at least for as long as he was filming that video. A transformer or something feeding the Superchargers blew as he was waiting to charge the i7 at EA.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Looking at your location in NJ I don't think you'd need one. If you want to spend the money to get one just to have, go for it, but I live somewhat in the same area as you and I don't feel the need for one.

From Philly I've taken several trips of nearly 1000 miles in the M3 I used to have and never needed a CCS adapter. If there are some places you plan on driving that would need one maybe, but it seems unnecessary with the state of the SC network on the east coast.

There is also the ones with the J1772, those are not really down and there are a ton even though they charge sloowwwwww.

with the gov deal to open up sc netowork, sc numbers are projected to double by next year from current ~2,000. so there will be less likely need to use this adapter. but by the same token, number of ccs chargers will skyrocket in the coming years due to the tax incentive in the ira. tax incentive will also mandate a 93% reliability rate so hopefully that will lead to less down chargers. i did order one as it was on sale just in case i need it. i can see a case where a ccs charger is more conveniently located than a tesla charger even if it was local. it just opens up more options and that is a good thing.

Thank you, everyone.
Looking at your location in NJ I don't think you'd need one. If you want to spend the money to get one just to have, go for it, but I live somewhat in the same area as you and I don't feel the need for one.

From Philly I've taken several trips of nearly 1000 miles in the M3 I used to have and never needed a CCS adapter. If there are some places you plan on driving that would need one maybe, but it seems unnecessary with the state of the SC network on the east coast.
There are indeed quite some superchargers in the area. I won't really need a CCS unless I go for some long road trips. I actually have no idea about where I will be going though :)

Reactions: arichard2401
here's an example where ccs adapter would come in handy. picture shows the only sc in tallahassee and its 150kw at that. as such its usually crowded. there are new ea 350kw chargers next to it which can be used with a ccs adapter. this would apply to other locations where ccs charger is close to or next to a sc so it would make sense to have an adapter available.

NVIDIA_Share_PVikQDtORj.png

Reactions: NJ08809
I bought one and have used it once just to make sure it works. I usually take 2 long trips a year (2K plus) and I've never needed it. It's just a "what if?" kind of thing. I'll say from what I've seen the CCS chargers are usually farther away and WAY more prone to not work, FWIW.

here's an example where ccs adapter would come in handy. picture shows the only sc in tallahassee and its 150kw at that. as such its usually crowded. there are new ea 350kw chargers next to it which can be used with a ccs adapter. this would apply to other locations where ccs charger is close to or next to a sc so it would make sense to have an adapter available.

View attachment 912631
And less expensive than the SC I'm guessing.

I just picked up my Tesla CCS adapter and tried it at a DC charger. OMG, it was horrible. Putting it in and pulling it out, multiple times. The car saying error message with the adapter, pulling out and sticking back in. I did this for a good 15 minutes and was going to just give up until I saw the green light. I was so annoyed thinking if I had another brand and had to use this would make me regret buying an EV. It was horrible! I am going to return it back to Tesla. this is too much trouble using a CCS!

• Funny
I just picked up my Tesla CCS adapter and tried it at a DC charger. OMG, it was horrible. Putting it in and pulling it out, multiple times. The car saying error message with the adapter, pulling out and sticking back in. I did this for a good 15 minutes and was going to just give up until I saw the green light. I was so annoyed thinking if I had another brand and had to use this would make me regret buying an EV. It was horrible! I am going to return it back to Tesla. this is too much trouble using a CCS!
My one time was pretty easy but yes, others haven’t made it a priority to make charging away from home easy. People really undervalue Tesla’s network IMO, it’s really one of the primary keys to their success!

Reactions: Happy Hippo