Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you guys actually precondition your car for one hour every morning for cold weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Upon reading, I find that Tesla recommend precondition car for one hour before driving (see statement below). That seems like a long time. Do you guys actually precondition your car that long for below freezing temp driving?

What should I know about driving in cold weather?

Both cold weather and a 100 percent battery charge contribute to limiting the effect of regenerative braking. You can prep your Tesla for cold temperatures from your mobile app or car touchscreen. Follow these best practices for improving your car’s performance in cold weather:
  • Precondition your car from your Tesla app for about one hour to heat your battery before driving, especially in near freezing temperatures.

I have a longer than normal commute so I'll usually charge from 90->95% when I wake up if it's cold outside (45 mins before leaving) and pre-heat the cabin for 10 minutes before.

I think they only suggest the hour long pre-heat so that full regen is added but you usually get that back within 20 minutes of driving anyways.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78