Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled precondition and battery drain in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions. In the Tesla app I have my model Y set to precondition at a certain time, 545 AM in my garage. The car is not preheating the battery or the cabin like it typically does. It makes no sounds. I’ve made no other changes in the app or car. The car is plugged in. Haven’t had an issue until this week when temps hit mid 20s at night.

Additionally, while at work and the car is “sleeping” the battery drain has been between 8-12% for 10-11 hours. Temps are usually 30-50F. I don’t have sentry mode on, I check on the car twice during the day to see how fast it’s draining then disconnect car, I also have no 3rd-party apps connected. I know the range is decreased with colder weather but these 2 issues have been somewhat frustrating.

Is the cold weather having an impact on battery drainage and preconditioning while plugged in at night?

Each time you check on the car in the app you wake it up and it could take an hour before going back to sleep. That adds some energy expense.

As the battery cools down there is less energy that can be extracted from it. The car tries to indicate that by lowering the SOC% displayed (or miles). That energy was not spent, but you won't get it out of the battery unless that battery heats up again.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I’ve only checked the last 2 days twice a day. Noticed it earlier this week after work that I had lost around 10% with the car just sitting.

Interesting about the battery makes sense with the weather I suppose.

What would a concerning figure or percentage be in terms of battery drainage in cold weather when it’s parked?

I've seen up to a 7% drop in displayed SOC between my car when I park it with a warm battery and the next morning after cold soaking in a pretty chilly -20C (-4F). That is for a car that has slept all the way, no sentry, no launching the app, nothing. I chalk this up as normal.
As soon as you wake it up this figure can go up quite a bit. Awake, the car consumes easily 200-250w which means up to 6kWh per 24h period and that is without any heating or AC involved (rough values, used as a ballpark). 6kWh is in the range of 8% to 10% SOC depending on the battery in your car. This is separate to the cold soaking.

Reactions: GrinchKing
OK , question to all Pros about the subject of Precondition (i.e. Set climate and preheat battery)

Have had my 2023 MYLR for over a yr now and last wk I started used the "Precondition" from my Tesla App.
I am CONFUSED about the statement "Set climate and preheat battery. This is my understanding
[Precondition] means heat/warm-up the battery for use at a certain time
[Set climate] is not the same as (CLIMATE) to preheat your cabin, this would require a separate step and cannot be done in the (SCHEDULE)

Am I correct? hopefully I don't confuse you guys.

Thanks
Enjoy yours