Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use Pin On Drive?

Do you use Pin On Drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my husband from the airport, stopped for dinner on the way home. Car didn't lock. He remembered he had left his keys, with his fob, buried in his suitcase. Safe enough neighbourhood so left it since we were eating in view of the car so I could hit the horn from the app if anyone started to look too closely.

For day to day, I used to forget my phone from time to time and figured the loss of the phone was a cheaper idiot tax than the loss of the car. BUT then I learned that the app can start the car, so if the thief is smart, they just pull up the app and start the car that way, overriding the pin to drive. Now its only advantage is my grandkids can't accidentally put the car in drive while playing with the screen.

Picked up my husband from the airport, stopped for dinner on the way home. Car didn't lock. He remembered he had left his keys, with his fob, buried in his suitcase. Safe enough neighbourhood so left it since we were eating in view of the car so I could hit the horn from the app if anyone started to look too closely.

For day to day, I used to forget my phone from time to time and figured the loss of the phone was a cheaper idiot tax than the loss of the car. BUT then I learned that the app can start the car, so if the thief is smart, they just pull up the app and start the car that way, overriding the pin to drive. Now its only advantage is my grandkids can't accidentally put the car in drive while playing with the screen.
If your phone is locked then the thief cannot override the pin.
There was some story that a 7 year old boy took his mom mini van to drive around.

I do use it. It's kinda like using MFA for your bank or etc.. but it's annoying when I'm at home and the garage door window drop down sits on top of the keypad. This example isnt too bad but most of the time the keypad is well hidden behind the garage door window drop down.

unnamed (3).jpg

Had a tire punctured in a parking lot. Reported to Tesla, they said "We'll come get it. Here's a code for an Uber voucher to get you home. Leave your key card in the car so the tow guy can do what he needs to do."
I was kind of nervous about leaving the car with the key in it, but I'd forgotten I'd set up PIN To Drive! After I got home, the tow guy called and said, I'm ready to move your car and tow it, but I can't start it without the PIN. Excellent! Basically 2FA for the car.

Reactions: buddhafree and rlsd
I do use it. It's kinda like using MFA for your bank or etc.. but it's annoying when I'm at home and the garage door window drop down sits on top of the keypad. This example isnt too bad but most of the time the keypad is well hidden behind the garage door window drop down.

View attachment 982652
Interesting. My garage door button is always on the top of the screen and has no interference to the key pad. I have only one garage though. Can you open the garage first before pressing the brake to enter the pin to drive?