Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you worry about rapidly declining resale value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it's a percentage of residual value, not initial value. But I agree it's a large range.

Makes sense I guess. Luxury cars for sure depreciate faster and I would say the 25% number looks right for the BMWs that my wife was buying at auctions. All where pretty flawless and low miles, but still 50% of the original sticker price. Not much market up resale either, but we would drive them for a couple months so we didnt have car payments. If I had to guess, I would say the 3 is going to hold its value more like the mid sized sedan then a luxury car. I would also assume that there is a curve where it flattens out a lot after year 5. With the power train and low maint. costs of the model 3, they are still going to have a decent value 6-10 years after you buy it. I dont plan on selling mine. I will have it take my kids around and then to college.

• Informative
Reactions: 206er
I'm a committed Model 3 reservation holder, Tesla investor and Elon Musk acolyte and mission believer.

However, I'm just a little concerned by three technological and market forces that may influence my purchase (not a lease) in light of future resale value:

1. Rapidly improving battery capacity and density.
2. Confluence of new EV market entrants.
3. Transition to a shared autonomous transportation economy.

Expanding on each of these:

1. While we know Elon has clearly stated Model 3 has a 75 kWh max battery capacity limit due to physical space constraints, that's obviously based on present battery technology/density. The time will come when battery form and chemistry will improve on that density and a larger capacity (not physical size) will inevitably be available in a future Model 3 (just look at the evolution of the Model S). Tesla obviously wouldn't highlight this as they are already highly sensitive to the Osborne Effect. When such an improvement will be achieved is anyone's guess, but I would propose it will have a negative impact on early Model 3 resale value since I would argue that range will remain a top-tier consideration for shoppers. Should they see a 300+ mile capacity in a base Model 3 in 2021, for example, would they not think twice about a 215 mile capacity used model? Especially in light of...

2. A confluence of new EV market entrants will soon attempt to undercut Tesla's model for the masses, by offering models for sale in the $25k - $30k before incentives (and probably with greater than 215 mile range -- see Chevy Bolt for example). This has two effects. By the time these entrants enter the market, Tesla buyers will no longer be eligible for any federal tax incentives, likely prompting Tesla to eventually price compete against automakers who are still eligible for the tax credit. At the same time, potential buyers for these newer entrants will remain eligible for the tax credit for a significant amount of time. Both conditions put downward pressure on the purchase price of a new, comparable EV, therefore putting downward pressure on the value of used models. This may be a time-constrained bubble, but one that may impact at the time in which I might look to sell my Model 3.

3. With the continued growth of a shared transportation economy (Lyft, Uber, etc.) intersecting with autonomous technology, the economic and social viability of private ownership will decline. I put this last as this will likely take the longest to have a material impact on the used value of a 2017/18 Model 3, but the prospect is still there and liable to accelerate faster than any of us anticipate. The upshot remains: fewer private buyers -> softer resale market, lower prices.

In light of the above, I'm grappling with which Model 3 configuration to buy. Do I economize and go with a decently equipped, but base configuration 55 kWh single motor, minimizing my "investment" and therefore minimizing my losses (and get mine sooner)?

Or do I stretch a little for perhaps a less highly equipped but more capable 75 kWh dual motor with the hope it remains more competitive with later Model 3s and late market entrants, thus maximizing its resale value?

I expect to own this Model 3 for about 5 years, but would not rule out being enticed by the Model Y some 3 years from now.

Some forces from the opposite direction, sustaining used Model 3 prices:

1. Demand for EVs is only just ramping up. We'll soon reach the tipping point where millions of buyers will be excited to join this glorious revolution, eager to start their journey in a modern classic, the Tesla Model 3. Since I'm an early reservation holder, I'll have some supreme bonus feature that will make my car an instant collector's item (ok, yes, optimistic, but you get my point).

2. Current high resale value of Model S demonstrates strong demand for Teslas in the secondary market, even though Tesla rapidly improves their models/features/capabilities. It's not all about the EV, but the Tesla name and build quality (ahem) that will help maintain a high resale value.

3. Supplement income/payment in shared economy. My Model 3 will (hopefully) be capable of autonomously participating in the shared transportation economy. Maybe after 3 years the newness of the car will wear off enough I'll be comfortable sharing it with higher quality riders and by then I won't want to sell it, driving up the value of all of your Model 3s on the market.

4. EVs *should* have a longer life-span, greater long-term reliability, fewer moving parts, less friction, no microexplosions and heat dispersion concerns, yada yada, which should sustain higher value over the still-present ICE cars on the market.

I'm no economist or battery engineer, but these are the thoughts that cross my mind as I enter into this fascinating, unpredictable new world of EV ownership. Are you concerned about future resale value, or does your enthusiasm override future considerations? (also guilty)

Just two questions:

A: Have you always worried this much about the direction that a car company takes, especially the company that made the car you bought or expected to buy.

B: Or is this just a special case being that you are also an investor? If so can you think of an alternative car company with a better road map than Tesla right now you can call a better investment?

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
4. EVs *should* have a longer life-span, greater long-term reliability, fewer moving parts, less friction, no microexplosions and heat dispersion concerns, yada yada, which should sustain higher value over the still-present ICE cars on the market.

The flipside of that is that teslas are packed with other unnecessary electrical gizmos that are going to break and need expensive repairs once the warranty ends. One of the reason EVs depreciate so quickly is because no one knows how much the second owner will be spending to fix the things that break. And teslas have a lot of things that break, even when they're new.

But the other thing that will help keep resale value up is that teslas are still the only EV that will help get you laid. Well maybe an i8 too...

Last edited:
TL;DR
I keep my cars for double-digit number of years, so resale value never enters into the equation when buying a car.

As a highly technological product, Tesla cars will see rapid advances in both hardware and software. It's like worrying about your computer's resale value or that its components will no longer be the latest-and-greatest. Like your computer, at least the Tesla's software can be upgraded in many instances (which is more than can be said for other makes of cars).
But upgrading software on your computer gradually makes your computer run slower and laggier. We can expect the same from the computers in our cars.

But upgrading software on your computer gradually makes your computer run slower and laggier. We can expect the same from the computers in our cars.

That's true with Windows. With a lot of OSs, things get faster when you update due to more efficient code, until you add more tasks for them to do. While there may be some additional tasks for the car, mostly they won't change much I think.

Reactions: Topher
That's true with Windows. With a lot of OSs, things get faster when you update due to more efficient code, until you add more tasks for them to do. While there may be some additional tasks for the car, mostly they won't change much I think.
Maybe, maybe not. You can guarantee the stereo/climate control/ user interfaces on a camaro are going to be just as responsive 15 years down the road as they were on the day it came off the production line. I would not feel comfortable making that same declaration about a tesla. I would expect all sorts of lag, bugs, troubleshooting, etc.

Maybe, maybe not. You can guarantee the stereo/climate control/ user interfaces on a camaro are going to be just as responsive 15 years down the road as they were on the day it came off the production line. I would not feel comfortable making that same declaration about a tesla. I would expect all sorts of lag, bugs, troubleshooting, etc.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

For my money, the Tesla will be better fifteen years down the line because of continual improvements in functionality. Likely more reliable than all those buttons, too.

Reactions: ohmman
Just two questions:

A: Have you always worried this much about the direction that a car company takes, especially the company that made the car you bought or expected to buy.

B: Or is this just a special case being that you are also an investor? If so can you think of an alternative car company with a better road map than Tesla right now you can call a better investment?

A: The last time I purchased a new car (7 years ago) we weren't on the cusp of a multi-faceted transportation revolution. There weren't nearly the variety of technological and market forces at play, at least not at the $40K price range I purchase at. I'm not at all worried about the direction Tesla is going. On the contrary, I'm all aboard. Nevertheless, for me and others, it's worth considering how all those things I enumerated impact both the residual value of this Model 3 we're all hotly anticipating, and more generally, the value of personally owning a car at all in the future.

B: My being an investor (and let me not overstate my stake, it's hardly a significant percentage of my holdings, nor is it a substantial number of shares) has no direct bearing on my Model 3 purchase plans. And nope, I don't have any investments in any other automobile company. I was merely stating my emotional and monetary enthusiasm for Tesla, but in spite of that, the value of owning a Model 3 (not necessarily the residual value) can appreciably decline (or even rise as so many have already stated!) due to rapid advances in technology (by Tesla and others), new market entrants, the tax incentives, and trends in the shared transportation economy.

(I realize I just changed the question somewhat, but the interesting examination of the forces remains, at least for some of us.)

I do regret the use of the word "investment" with respect to purchasing a Model 3. That was meant in "jest". Obviously nobody invests in the purchase of a mode of transportation expecting a monetary return on that "investment". But one does choose in which auto company to trust with that significant purchase and expects the best possible return in long-term viability, happiness and perhaps, just maybe, an above average residual value in-line with comparable, historical residual values should the owner choose to upgrade. Do those expectations change in light of all these ongoing revolutions? That is my core question. Thanks for the discussion.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

For my money, the Tesla will be better fifteen years down the line because of continual improvements in functionality. Likely more reliable than all those buttons, too.
I've never had the physical user interface controls - buttons and switches - fail on any car I've ever owned, no matter how old. Whereas every touchscreen I've ever owned has crapped out on me at some point.

I've never had the physical user interface controls - buttons and switches - fail on any car I've ever owned, no matter how old. Whereas every touchscreen I've ever owned has crapped out on me at some point.
That's funny, because I've never had a touchscreen die on me. I still have an original iPad which works. Most of my other devices were sold once I was done with them, but were still functional.

I have, however, had multiple physical controls die over the years. I've had radio knobs (potentiometers) stop working, air conditioning blend knobs, sliders, etc. that have all broken.

My point isn't that one is better or more reliable than the other. It's that your argument is based on your single experience, and others differ. Also that you may want to find another brand for your touchscreen purchases if every one has died on you.

Like Ohmman, I have lots of experience with failed physical controls, but I don't think I've seen a touchscreen fail (a number of touchscreen devices failed on me, but the screen worked until the device broke.)

In fairness, the failed physical controls were mostly older than most touchscreen devices I've owned.