Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have a taptes usb hub AND new apple MagSafe charger? Does it provide power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s in the title, kindly asking if someone with both products in the title can do me a favour and confirm whether the usb c port in the taptes usb hub provides enough power for the new apple MagSafe charger.

I got mine today. I don’t have a MagSafe, but it says on the box it is 9v x 3 amps from the usb c. Fast charges a galaxy s9 on the wireless pad still. Not sure this is any help, but sharing just in case.

Attachments

• C881F09F-3C7F-4A26-B8D9-5DEC33F9EB10.jpeg
    C881F09F-3C7F-4A26-B8D9-5DEC33F9EB10.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: Joelly
Was Keggers74’s hub for the newer M3 with one USB-A and one -C input— but what you got Joelly was the one for an older M3 with 2x USB-A inputs?

I was wondering what the watts from the USB-C output port of the latter was - for the same MagSafe idea in my older M3. I’m guessing it’s not enough from what you say?

I was hoping it would add the 10w from each input to get something decent. What was the adaptor you settled on? Thanks.

Was Keggers74’s hub for the newer M3 with one USB-A and one -C input— but what you got Joelly was the one for an older M3 with 2x USB-A inputs?

I was wondering what the watts from the USB-C output port of the latter was - for the same MagSafe idea in my older M3. I’m guessing it’s not enough from what you say?

I was hoping it would add the 10w from each input to get something decent. What was the adaptor you settled on? Thanks.
The hub was taptes usb hub for model 3 pre 2020 and it didn’t power the MagSafe. I don’t know what it is with the MagSafe charger that stops it working. I have now found 2 that work, the charge speed is likely to be 5w, but I don’t actually know how to work out precisely. It charged about 1% per minute with a high state of charge.

This is the one I bought -
USB C Female to USB 3.0 Male Cable Adapter (2 Pack),Double-Sided 5Gbps GEN 1 USB Type A 3.1 Connector for MagSafe Charger,iPhone 11 12 iPad 8 Pro Max,Samsung Galaxy Note 10 S20 Plus Ultra,Google Pixel https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088FJSD4B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_UZoSFbDCPMC0S

this should work too (and it’s a bit cheaper)
USB C Female to USB 3.0 Male Adapter (2 Pack),Double-sided 5Gbps GEN 1 USB Type A 3.1 Connector for MagSafe Charger,iPhone 11 12 Mini Pro Max,iPad Air 4,AirPods,Samsung Galaxy Note 10 S20 Plus Ultra https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DNBPB4X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_hZoSFbA9WSZ73?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you’ve got a Model 3 with two USB-A ports at the front then the max you’re going to get regardless of hubs or anything else is 5V/2A for about 10W.

The post-June 2020 cars that have 1 x USB-C and 1 x USB-A at the front can do 9V/3A for 27W on the USB-C port, 5A/2A on the other (the rated spec)

If you want MagSafe/Quick Charge/fast charging on the older car you’d either need to run off the 12V supply, or retrofit the newer USB hub etc.

On top of all of that the original Taptes hub is known to have issues with power, as internally it is a splitter rather than a hub, particularly if you’re already using it with a drive attached for Sentry.