Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Dr. ColorChip change color after application for anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you unaware... Tesla's touch-up paint kit is basically white-labeled Dr. ColorChip.

With the company flush with cash, you'd think they'd now offer high-quality OEM touch-up paint vs. relying on a 3rd party. Has anyone else noticed that the color of this stuff completely changes between application & then going over it with the "SealAct Solution?"

Reactions: m5james
Never noticed that, but also have not used Dr. Colorchip on my tesla. I purchased a kit for my last 2 BMWs though, and it always worked fine for me. I never noticed what you are describing, and I have a kit in my garage right now for my wifes blue X3 that worked just fine when I used it last year.

Automotive paint is a 2-part catalyzed system that cures chemically after mixing whereas touchup kits use a DIY-friendly air drying enamel so it would make sense for Tesla to outsource the kit to a company that already makes that type of paint and applicator system. It's not like they can just fill up some vials with leftover paint from their factory spray booth.

Dr. Colorchip doesn't make exact color matches for any model - imagine all the thousands of shades they'd have to develop and stock. Instead they just give you the same pearl white that they give to Lexus and Audi owners and call it close enough, which it usually is.