Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does It Seem Like Everyone Wants To Race You?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being a middle aged lady, I don’t think anyone who would be interested in racing sees me and thinks “she looks like she wants to race”. And, as another said, I do not race, just half launch off the line until I hit the speed limit when I’m feeling spirited and it’s safe. That said, I’ve had a couple experiences of a young dude in a suped up Honda (or the like) be next to me at a stoplight, get smoked by my half launch, be next to me at the next light, try to beat me and get smoked by a half launch, THEN get flustered and whiz past me after he catches up when I’m at the speed limit. I may not be trying to race anyone but I do enjoy not trying and seeing all the other cars so far behind me so quickly. Ha!

Last edited:
Having my P3D for a total of three weeks now, it seems at every traffic light other vehicles and drivers want to race on green. The ones that want a go at it are usually mustangs, camaros, dodge chargers, challengers, pickup trucks, hyundai’s, and just too many to count.

Last night was an Infiniti QX80. Nothing like listening to the QX80 revving up that big 5.6 V-8, but I had already reached the other traffic light before he even caught up!! Another interesting one was a Chevy Spark who was tailgating behind me and when I accelerated to 5 mph over the speed limit on the highway, he seemed to run out of steam.

Anyone else feels like they always have others who want to race?

I haven't read the responses yet but I've noticed a definite inclination for self-selected drivers in a recurring profile of cars that want to race or tend to 'posture' around the Model 3. I have a P3D- and my girlfriend has an AWD LR. So, we have a decent sample size.

First, yes, lots of people (usually dudes) in muscle cars or nicer BMWs or other faster coupes or sedans often want to race, or posture in a way that shows their competitiveness/insecurity/curiosity/affection which is spurred on by the presence of a Tesla. We've come to call it the 'muscle car effect' but it's not just the neo muscle cars such as the new Charger, Challenger, or Camaro. Could be a faster Euro sedan, a boy racer in a souped-up Japanese car, a lifted truck chock full of testosterone-soaked attitude, etc.

I've seen muscle cars perform unsafe passes, want to do rolling races (their only chances for most of 'em), a BMW tried to pace me (I gapped him pretty well), etc. In fact, the first and only time my autopilot 'intervened' with a blind spot alert was when a muscle car made a sudden lane-change after I checked my right shoulder and zoomed up to my right to pass as I was merging over peacefully. The thing alerts, I go back to my lane and wooosh this Charger races by. Still others will hit the clutch and rev their engines as a signal, a challenge, a 'hello', etc. In essence, these self-selected cars get VERY animated around our Teslas, even if we have no mind to race.

There's definitely self-selection happening with people who want to test their mettle against a Tesla. Some probably haven't collected their 'I beat a Tesla' trophy yet. :D

Last edited:
Being a middle aged lady, I don’t think anyone who would be interested in racing sees me and thinks “she looks like she wants to race”. And, as another said, I do not race, just half launch off the line until I hit the speed limit when I’m feeling spirited and it’s safe. That said, I’ve had a couple experiences of a young dude in a souped up Honda (or the like) be next to me at a stoplight, get smoked by my half launch, be next to me at the next light, try to beat me and get smoked by a half launch, THEN get flustered and whiz past me after he catches up when I’m at the speed limit. I may not be trying to race anyone but I do enjoy not trying and seeing all the other cars so far behind me so quickly. Ha!

Ah yes, the boy racer types. I've had that happen too as I don't like to speed on city streets (but I choose my battles carefully). Easily gapped a Honda, only to have him catch up and make some silly moves after 'passing' me, long after I stopped demonstrating the brilliance of that Tesla EV torque. Sometimes they know they're gonna get beat but just want to witness it. I think a lot of these racer types are also fans....or drive away as fans. :D

For those who have found others wanting to race you without provocation, do your cars have any external modifications, such as tints and aftermarket rims, or loud music? Do you look “young at heart” and how old do the other racers appear to be?

Mine's a good test-case as it's a P3D-. Looks like an AWD LR but for the red underlined badge. Some will know what that means, but many will not. Same happens with my girlfriend's stock AWD LR (but for tinted windows) and she drives way more sedately than me.

I only had a few small examples from red lights.. mostly it's punks on the highway that ride my tail until I can't see their headlights, then try to jolt out and pass me.. only to be taken to gapplebees/and or tesla road house

Gawl I hate when people do that. It's the old tailgate draft and pass challenge. I will totally gap anyone who does this. You CAN'T tailgate what you can't catch, sonny.

California's personalized license plate program is on hiatus due to the pandemic, so I picked up a custom license plate frame. Black text on white. Top line reads:

ALL-WHEEL DRIVE

Bottom line reads:

TORQUE: 920 LB.-FT.

It services notice to boy racers. That amount of torque can make your eyeballs relocate to the rear of your head.

Good idea! Should keep them from even trying you. :D

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
In my 2yrs of owning my car, only one instance of this, perhaps because my car doesn't have the dual motor badge and most people have no idea what I'm driving? It was an older Model S (75D?) that pulled up at a red light right next to me. I didn't bite but he took off. I'm way over this kind of stuff lol.

^^^ The only people who have a clue as to what the badges mean are other Tesla owners. To most others it's just another generic 4-door sedan.

Yes the cars are total sleepers. I actually removed the “dual motor” and red line. Love the clean look. Of course just look at the spoiler and brake calipers to know it’s a Performance. Now the MS P90D, I get the attention of BMW M5’s and Mercedes AMG’s. Most give a thumbs up and drive by. Usually it’s the ricers that seem to want a race.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and 1100MCM
The OP is not dreaming. In the MX, I have raced Cameras, Mustangs, Porsches and Infinitiy’s at traffic lights. The Infinity raced me at the light then at a 30 mph roll after the next light. I don’t even have a P. I am not challenged outside of Houston. Weird.

You probably surprised them with MX. The uninformed are usually shocked to see the MX accelerate very quickly. When I was in Houston 3 weeks ago, I have never seen so many BMW 3 series in my life. Thought I was at some BMW car meet.

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Street racing here will get your license lost for 6-12 months, and I
do mean gone. Riding to work with stinky Mike with the pocket protectors
for a year would be no fun. We do have aggressive drivers here so the power
to get away from them is very cool. 0-40 is not racing by the way, no rubber smell,
smoke and direct pipes.[

Love the German Autobahns but you are correct...don’t want to do childish activities while driving. Especially going slow and blocking traffic in the left hand lane. The to piss off the Polizei.

When I first got my car there were very few Model 3's around so it was relatively common to get some buffoon doing the silly creeping dance at lights.
But nowadays it rarely happens, especially with cars. It seems the word hasn't got out the core of the noisy, lifted pickup world though, which is even funnier.
Its along the same lines as folks stopping to talk to you in the parking lot. It used to be a weekly occurrence for folks to ask questions about the "electronic" car, now it rarely happens.

Unfortunately being in the state of Texas, we sell more pickup trucks than the next 4 states combined!! I’m for customizing your truck anyway you want, but it seems some are over-compensating for something. I have have a F-350 PowerStroke to pull my horse trailers and boat, but it is completely bone stock except for air bags and extra fuel cell for a more comfortable trip. Can’t wait for the Cybertruck to come out.

Over here most people assume you're an a-hole if you drive a Tesla. Which makes some people drive really aggressive around you, and some stop driving efficiently because they assume you're going to drive egocentric.
I tend to always let 1 car in front of me in every roundabout and intersection when there's stop-and-go traffic. As soon as I got a TM3 I almost always have to stop and flash the lights to make people understand that I'm letting them in.

Sidenote: now that everyone and their grandparents have a TM3 this preconception about Tesla owners are starting to go away

Here in the US, some think you are rich if you drive a Tesla. Most don’t know the different model designations and ask a lot of questions. If someone or families have never seen or sat in a Tesla, I offer my MS and M3 as a demonstrator if I have time to spare. Usually happens at the superchargers. Then we have those people who are very hateful of EV’s in general. Lots of vandalism towards our cars from the haters.