Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does It Seem Like Everyone Wants To Race You?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having my P3D for a total of three weeks now, it seems at every traffic light other vehicles and drivers want to race on green. The ones that want a go at it are usually mustangs, camaros, dodge chargers, challengers, pickup trucks, hyundai’s, and just too many to count.

Last night was an Infiniti QX80. Nothing like listening to the QX80 revving up that big 5.6 V-8, but I had already reached the other traffic light before he even caught up!! Another interesting one was a Chevy Spark who was tailgating behind me and when I accelerated to 5 mph over the speed limit on the highway, he seemed to run out of steam.

Anyone else feels like they always have others who want to race?

Having my P3D for a total of three weeks now, it seems at every traffic light other vehicles and drivers want to race on green. The ones that want a go at it are usually mustangs, camaros, dodge chargers, challengers, pickup trucks, hyundai’s, and just too many to count.

Last night was an Infiniti QX80. Nothing like listening to the QX80 revving up that big 5.6 V-8, but I had already reached the other traffic light before he even caught up!! Another interesting one was a Chevy Spark who was tailgating behind me and when I accelerated to 5 mph over the speed limit on the highway, he seemed to run out of steam.

Anyone else feels like they always have others who want to race?
Not that often; the word is out. Notable exceptions: Porsche Taycan--not sure which model, but he lost! Few big pick-up trucks--yeah, right!

Reactions: DevilDoc8542
Over here most people assume you're an a-hole if you drive a Tesla. Which makes some people drive really aggressive around you, and some stop driving efficiently because they assume you're going to drive egocentric.
I tend to always let 1 car in front of me in every roundabout and intersection when there's stop-and-go traffic. As soon as I got a TM3 I almost always have to stop and flash the lights to make people understand that I'm letting them in.

Sidenote: now that everyone and their grandparents have a TM3 this preconception about Tesla owners are starting to go away

• Funny
Reactions: 1100MCM
The funniest one I had was a Dodge Charger Scat Pack. I used to own a Charger SRT Hellcat and am fully aware of what the 6.4 Hemi can do. He didn’t like it when I kept pulling on him and gapped the charger at 80mph. His exhaust was way too loud and we were attracting attention from the protesters in front of Planned Parenthood.

When I first got my car there were very few Model 3's around so it was relatively common to get some buffoon doing the silly creeping dance at lights.
But nowadays it rarely happens, especially with cars. It seems the word hasn't got out the core of the noisy, lifted pickup world though, which is even funnier.
Its along the same lines as folks stopping to talk to you in the parking lot. It used to be a weekly occurrence for folks to ask questions about the "electronic" car, now it rarely happens.

Never. I suppose it depends where you live. I always let the vehicles next to me have a half car length ahead at lights. That way they don't actually see you next to them, won't feel challenged, and won't try to race you. Just like with animals, don't stand in a way that they feel challenged.