Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model 3 come with USB-C standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My cars production date is june 7th. im picking it up early next week and the first three of the vin are 705. Does anyone think Ill have wireless charging? Thanks
Just picked up my model 3 sr+ with USB C and wireless charging. Vin 705xxx ordered on June 1st.

Weird, because my car has a 705xxx VIN with a March 2020 build date (was delivered to me on 3/31) and it came with USB-A ports and no wireless charging pad.... wasn't even on the radar back then.

I'm wondering if Tesla changed out the ports and wireless charging pad on existing inventory, of if your 705xxx numbers are very high up there (like in the 900's).

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Weird, because my car has a 705xxx VIN with a March 2020 build date (was delivered to me on 3/31) and it came with USB-A ports and no wireless charging pad.... wasn't even on the radar back then.

I'm wondering if Tesla changed out the ports and wireless charging pad on existing inventory, of if your 705xxx numbers are very high up there (like in the 900's).

hmm ok. ill find out tomorrow.

With a 7052xx vin I wasn't expecting to get usb c and wireless charging. I assume it was one of the last vins assigned before the factory shut down but not completely assembled until June.

What's the big deal, I have these in my S, $15 and a soldering iron.

I don't think it's a big deal. My post above was just pointing out the fact that my car is also a 705xxx VIN with a March 2020 build, and it came with the USB-A ports. I'm just surprised to see other 705xxx builds from June that are coming with the USB-C ports.

I already have a USB-C PD fast charger port ($11 shipped from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08336XQR9 - no soldering required) and have that plugged into my center console. I also have a cheap TapTes charging pad that allows you to put the phone horizontal (which I don't do, but the middle ridge location makes it easier to grab the phone than the factory Tesla charging pad middle ridge). But ironically, my iPhone 11 Pro is never less than 90% battery at the end of day so I never need to charge my phone in the car :D.

No model 3 "comes with" wireless charging. Are you seeing something that says that a model 3 "comes with" wireless charging, or, are you seeing that a tesla branded wireless charger is 'available for purchase" through tesla?

I highly (highly highly) suspect its the later.

On the USB C front, Would be interested to see if US based model 3s start coming with usb-c connector instead the standard USB A. I read somewhere that model 3s in china have started that, but have not seen anyone say "yes" to receiving that on a model 3 here in the US.

Yes, I have a Model 3 in Canada with one usb C and one A at the front - can't seem to use the C port for data, so that's a bad deal when trying to use music and dashcam.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3 and Gasaraki
Yes, I have a Model 3 in Canada with one usb C and one A at the front - can't seem to use the C port for data, so that's a bad deal when trying to use music and dashcam.

If you look at the actual date of the post you are quoting, you will see it was before tesla confirmed the change. In fact, if you kept reading this thread, you would see i later said, on the same date:

Yes, I saw that in another thread, that didnt exist when I made that post. I should have said "no teslas in the past have come with wireless charging pads, but who knows what tesla will do".

And yes, it has since been confirmed several times over that tesla started including that on cars in mid june.