Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2021 not recognising music from USB-C stick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Suddenly my Tesla M3 2021 Standard Plus won't recognise the music tracks (.mp3 files) from my USB-C stick that is plugged into my centre console. I have not changed anything, I may have recently updated my car's software with the latest update and that may have coincided with when the car didn't recognise the music on my usb (not 100% sure that when the car updated, that this problem developed).

I've checked the USB on my computer and all the tracks are still there.

Anyone else having this issue?

Vincent

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I’ve had this issue for several months now through various updates. Tried reformatting the drive with FAT32, ExFAT formats, MBR and GPT partitioning, formatting through the car menu. Tried plug into the USB port directly (currently it’s through a USB hub).

It attempts to index the drive and stalls/fails part way through. Sometimes the indexing completes and I can see and play some music, but it’s only a small portion of what I have on the drive.

Sometimes I get a USB drive error that persists even after unplugging the drive and I have to do the two button reset. That’s actually how I knew there was a problem since I don’t use USB music that often.

Other USB drives for the dashcam and one I use for the custom lock sound work fine.

In software version 2024.2.6 I started having issues where usb device is not detected. I find changing audio source from usb before leaving vehicle helps. New version might not be giving enough time for device to mount before attempting playback. I saw an error message related to unable to play/find music. 🤷‍♂️. I might reformat my usb device.

To my understanding the Center consol is charging only not data. They stopped putting in data early 2022.

Data is the glove box usb a
@Randy-12 We are talking about cars made 11/2021 or prior as they have data capable center console ports. Also hardware 3 cars built 12/2021-2023 can swap out a usb module for one which supports data. I have it in my 2022. If your car is hardware 4, seems no retrofit is possible since the computer has one usb port.

Reactions: Whitezoid
To my understanding the Center consol is charging only not data. They stopped putting in data early 2022.

Data is the glove box usb a
I've just got off the phone to Tesla support and all previous access to USB music has been disabled, including the Teslacam USB. So the only way to play your own music is by playing it on your phone which can then be connected to the Tesla sound system via Bluetooth. Clumsy as AF!!

I've just got off the phone to Tesla support and all previous access to USB music has been disabled, including the Teslacam USB. So the only way to play your own music is by playing it on your phone which can then be connected to the Tesla sound system via Bluetooth. Clumsy as AF!!
I just got Tesla car update 2024.8.4 . Usb music playback via my center storage usb-c ports using a usb-c stick still works for me in my model y that has Tesla oem usb-c module which supports data & power (originally my car had power only usb-c). However, for the car to see the usb device, the device needs to be plugged in to the usb-c port and then the computer needs to be rebooted. Seems like the device is recognized (even if I unplug & plug-in) until car goes in to the next deep sleep.

The info you were told is incorrect. My usb-c music storage devices are seen if I reboot the computer and I can playback music. The same usb-c device plugged in to a bridge in the glovebox usb-a port works perfectly, no computer reboot needed.

The info you were told is incorrect. My usb-c music storage devices are seen if I reboot the computer and I can playback music. The same usb-c device plugged in to a bridge in the glovebox usb-a port works perfectly, no computer reboot needed.
The vehicle firmware version is probably a factor here. Mine is on 2024.2.7 on the AMD Ryzen chip. What do you mean by a bridge , do you mean a USB hub?

I use one SSD 500 Giga in the glove box and i managed it to have the Boombox, the Sentry and music files. It work perfectly.
I believe the issue is the front center usb ports are usually not working for data operations (music, game controllers, etc). The glovebox usb port seems unaffected. People are reporting they need to reboot the car computer to make the center usb ports work for data operations but this only lasts until the car deep sleeps again.

I believe the issue is the front center usb ports are usually not working for data operations (music, game controllers, etc). The glovebox usb port seems unaffected. People are reporting they need to reboot the car computer to make the center usb ports work for data operations but this only lasts until the car deep sleeps again.
On my model 18 M3 I did not have to reboot. Music plays fine and records dsshcam just fine.

My 2022 Model 3 has had problems with USB music for half a year now. I’m using a flash drive with a hub through the glovebox USB port which worked flawlessly before. Doesn’t work even directly plugged into the port. It just either can’t read it entirely or only shows a handful of audio files.

Interesting. I just posted "I have been unable to get a USB (128GB) stick to be recognized in my 2024 M3 with Audio files on it. I partitioned the USB stick into TESLADRIVE with subfolder TeslaCam and a 2nd partition with AUDIO and sub-folders AUDIO, Hi-Res Audio and Boombox. The Car doesn’t see the USB on the Screen nor does the Das Cam function. It is “X’d off”. A stick with only the Audio on it is recognized and the Original Tesla USB stick(128GB) works fine for the Dash Cam." Software update or Hardware 4 in the highland?