Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does SOC need to be 90% for the BMS to balance cells?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it used to be that way back in 2012/13 (actually I think it was 93%). According to the well known hacksters and battery tinkering folks, it appears to rebalance at any SOC now..

Not aware there was ever a magic number, even back then, though stranger things have happened

Perhaps this was the estimation engine threshold. There’s no magic number now for that though. The reason why it is recommended to be higher occasionally is to get the widest variance from start charge to end charge to feed into the battery estimation model. Many small variance charges causes estimation to drift over time.

Btw This graph shows balancing in last few frame of animation I created at 91.5%, pure geekdom
Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

Not aware there was ever a magic number, even back then, though stranger things have happened

Perhaps this was the estimation engine threshold. There’s no magic number now for that though. The reason why it is recommended to be higher occasionally is to get the widest variance from start charge to end charge to feed into the battery estimation model. Many small variance charges causes estimation to drift over time.

Btw This graph shows balancing in last few frame of animation I created at 91.5%, pure geekdom
Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

VERY interesting info you've provided in the link. Does accuracy of the battery estimation also depend on discharging it way down occasionally as well?