Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla install non Tesla DCFC stations? Strange article.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading this article it seems to suggest Tesla is installing some non Tesla DCFC facilities at a Supercharger location in Osoyoos BC. Never heard of that before.

Tesla to build 16 EV chargers in B.C. town called 'key link' in charging chain
No, Tesla is not installing non-Tesla DCFC. They are installing 8 superchargers and 4 universal L2 stations (i.e. J1772 connectors) in the lot and another 4 J1772-connector L2 stations at a second, yet to be determined location in the city. I assume the confusion in the article that you're referencing is from this quote, "Tesla will build eight superchargers in that lot. Four of them will be for Tesla users only. The other four will be available to the public." I believe that is a garbled account of the agreed upon "parking" restrictions on the stalls, not the type of charger. i.e. Of the 8 supercharger stalls, 4 will be signed as restricted for Tesla charging only and the other 4 stalls will be signed allowing general parking (probably with a specified time limit). This has nothing to do with the charging equipment.

No, Tesla is not installing non-Tesla DCFC. They are installing 8 superchargers and 4 universal L2 stations (i.e. J1772 connectors) in the lot and another 4 J1772-connector L2 stations at a second, yet to be determined location in the city. I assume the confusion in the article that you're referencing is from this quote, "Tesla will build eight superchargers in that lot. Four of them will be for Tesla users only. The other four will be available to the public." I believe that is a garbled account of the agreed upon "parking" restrictions on the stalls, not the type of charger. i.e. Of the 8 supercharger stalls, 4 will be signed as restricted for Tesla charging only and the other 4 stalls will be signed allowing general parking (probably with a specified time limit). This has nothing to do with the charging equipment.

That explain it.

Thanks.