Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Port Campbell, Vic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't get too excited by the title - it's far from certain!

Tesla pulls the plug on town's EV chargers

Princetown residents' concerns about parking prompts Tesla to find new spot for EV chargers​

By Jessica Greenan
Updated May 9 2023

Leading electric car company Tesla has shelved its plan to bring six charging stations to a quiet town on the Great Ocean Road.

Corangamite Shire Council manager of environment and emergency Lyall Bond said logistical issues had prompted the industry giant to pull out of its Princetown proposal.

"During the consultation phase of the site investigation, it was identified that the loss of car parks for general parking was a concern for residents," he said.

"Therefore an alternative location has been identified by Tesla in Port Campbell and work is underway to start planning this process."

Tesla had been considering a number of sites across the shire, including in the south where users were within travelling distance of key tourist attractions.

It comes after the council participated in the Charging the Regions Program which identified areas that required charging infrastructure to improve connectivity for EV users.

The fact that Tesla is not installing superchargers in Princetown is interesting news, given I (and presumably no-one) here knew that they were going to... despite this article from last year which all of us also missed!

Proposed charging stations power EV push

Tesla proposes to install six charging stations in Princetown​

By Jessica Greenan
Updated December 1 2022

Electric vehicle leader Tesla wants to install six charging stations in Princetown.

Corangamite Shire Council manager of environment and emergency Lyall Bond said the town was just one of many earmarked in the shire.

"Tesla is looking at sites in our shire and Princetown is one of those," he said.

"The south of the shire has been chosen as it is travelling distance from other chargers.

"We are starting to field requests in regard to chargers."

Hopefully more specifics are revealed soon, so the site can be added to supercharge.info.

• Informative
Reactions: moa999
This popped up in my news alerts but I can’t get past the paywall - not sure if there’s anything interesting to it - anyone else able to read it?

Not anything concrete. Mentions previous rejection of Princetown; Tesla still considering chargers in the area; most likely in Port Campbell; no firm locations yet; infers there is no urgency at this stage.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Just leaving Warrnambool now, heading towards Colac. Could be tempted to detour to Port Campbell if there was a likely chance of finding something, but I also emailed the council before my trip and the response was similar to the news article above.