Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need for Tesla Advertising / PR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Buckminster

Aug 29, 2018
UK

I am 50:50 on this. As always, happy to back Elon and give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reasons against:
  1. Elon is looking to change the culture as a whole. This is bigger than Tesla. If millions of us learn not to trust the media on Tesla we will extend that to the world outside of Tesla and start to think for ourselves.
  2. It works pretty well for the Queen Here's What the Royal Family Motto 'Never Complain, Never Explain' Really Means
1620198243926.png

I am 50:50 on this. As always, happy to back Elon and give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reasons against:
  1. Elon is looking to change the culture as a whole. This is bigger than Tesla. If millions of us learn not to trust the media on Tesla we will extend that to the world outside of Tesla and start to think for ourselves.
  2. It works pretty well for the Queen Here's What the Royal Family Motto 'Never Complain, Never Explain' Really Means
View attachment 659666
I marvel at the number of people that knows better than the smartest guy in the world

Tesla definitely shouldn't be paying off "reputation management" companies aka the mainstream media.

Fortunes have changed dramatically in the past year (literally for Elon and shorts) and the competition, auto, oil & gas, old space, internet service providers, ...etc..., need to demonstrate they're not destined for the dust bin.

Also, Elon, as the longest serving CEO at any major auto manufacturer is the old hand. Other OEM CEOs are basically (unknown) noobs that need to prove themselves as able competitors.

I love listening to everyone's complaint about Tesla needing a PR department. Well hell, they have one. Think about all the articles that are written about tesla over single tweeds. Yes, they bank big on these tweets. They take Elon at his words and make many articles about what is said or sometimes what is Not said. The problem is they are pissed off that they don't have Tesla comments to use against them. This is what really ticks them off.

I believe Elon needs a PR dept. The chart above is not correct. Most respectable media will quote the company's response word for word.

What happens is if there is an event, like the one in Texas, the misinformation goes on and on like a virus. Other agencies pick it up and publish it. And so the misinformation spreads.

When news people state "we reached out to Tesla for a comment and they have not responded", that causes FUD in potential buyers. And journalists. At the moment, Tesla is the big dog, not much serious competition. But that won't last long. If you are over 40, you probably had a Motorola phone, they were the big dog. But Motorola lost the number 1 position to a paper company, NOKIA. Motorola fell to number 3 worldwide. Now the few phones are made by Leonvo, Motorola phones are gone.

Few companies stay at number 1 for long. It takes great care and feeding of your customers and especially potential ones.

Elon is smart, very smart so I hope he doesn't keep telling himself that and letting competition rise up.

Moderators frown on double-posting; the below, however, is not copying from a different thread; rather, it is a recapitulation of what I wrote earlier this week. Instead of stiting by and watching others continue down the Big Conspiracy Road that I have read among the last dozen or so posts directly above, I am going to present for a second time my reasons that a strong PR Department is precisely what Tesla needs - and has needed for some time. As follows, in answering another's question:

I do not think it overly naive, as it plays directly into answering one of the “What would I be promulgating were I to be sitting on Tesla’s BoD” questions with which I occupy a lot of my investment time.

Reuters, NYTimes, Bloomberg and all other responsible or heretofore responsible news organizations are accustomed to and, in my strongly deliberated opinion, justified in desiring, a corporation possessing a Public Relations department from which they can receive official information and to which they both can ask questions and request confirmation, clarification or denial of reports they have gathered from other sources. The more public a company - ie, a publicly-owned and -traded one being at the top of the spectrum - and the larger the company, the more essential and valuable such a department is.

I assert one of Mr Musk’s greatest and unforced blunders was to dismiss any nascent PR department Tesla may once have had. He either explicitly or at the least implicitly announced that he personally could function as PR. Of course, for now quite some years he compounded, in my opinion, what already was a terrible misjudgment by shifting essentially all public statements away from what traditionally are called Releases, or even the Tesla blog to which I refer below, toward tweets. I have had to sit on my hands for most of the past ten minutes to refrain from voicing my opinon about that platform; I will say nothing more than that shift coincided with my acknowledgeably tiresome mantra “I Hate Twitter.”

If we revisit the first large public relations problems with which Tesla had to contend - the ”Stalled out on Tesla’s Electric Highway” of February 8, 2013 by John Broder - Tesla responded. At least one response was on Feb 11 from Mr Musk’s Twitter account, and, although a cringing harbinger of what shortly would become that platform’s most infamous words “Fake News” (no, he did not use that specific combination, but it was close enough), it nevertheless was a useless denial of the article and its conclusions. HOWEVER, Tesla did follow up on Feb 19 with a cogent, appropriate rebuttal…BY Mr Musk, ON Tesla’s then active, useful and lamentably long-gone blog. It was effective, to an extent, in that other articles referring to range anxiety did use that communication in their own articles. That response, as well as others Mr Musk provided in those early years, demonstrated conclusively that he can write effectively; that he is not somehow limited by some much-broadcasted developmental impediment about which this thread, especially, has so lamentably often contained responses like "He is who he is. Deal with it."

Now and for many years prior, every responsible article or radio/television news story of importance regarding Tesla has contained a concluding line, almost invariable across each such article, that is - for Tesla and for each of us who cares deeply about the company - a 160dB long whistle blast across the bow of your yacht warning of impending danger: "Tesla did not respond when we reached out for clarification."

Are the news organizations nefarious in disseminating misinformation? Are they complicit with short-sellers? With high-frequency traders? With market makers? With their extant or possible or imaginary advertisers: other automotive companies, the petroleum industry, Wall St? It may or may not be so, but it almost does not matter. Were Tesla to be forthright in responding to news organizations' requests for information, there would be virtually no room for even a nefarious news service to manipulate.
In isolation something is or isn't true, in context something is or isn't important.

An earnings report provides "full context", even when something might be true and important, another factor may more than compensate.

A PR department provides a path for a shopping list of questions to be asked. Sooner or later someone will ask the right question which might be confirmed without context. if a PR department answers most questions be declines to answer one, a negative connotation can be implied, again without context.

As things stand, Tesla sometimes denies false rumours now, but they pick and choose which ones they respond to. If they mostly don't respond, that gives a response a bit more implied credibility. In spite of that, recent denials from Tesla China were painted as probably false.

All a PR department needs to do is make a comment which is later proven incorrect due to changed circumstances, and that is open slather for those with the shopping list to spin a particular denial as false.

Earnings can be a mixed bag, often there is a small factor which is a unexpected negative, which if known about in advance could have been blown up to be a big issue. But in context, it is less of a big deal, because the overall results are good.

A "trading risk" with Tesla is that any small issue can be blown up into a big issue with enough media hype, front running, and speculation to, move the stock price. I think being aware of the risk is the best approach, trying to prevent the risk is close to impossible, because the media are willing and motivated participants, who are not necessarily interested in the truth.

The "trading risk" is not an "investment risk" because in the long run, the actual numbers and what is really happening count, and even the media can't spin the financial numbers forever.

When having a late Christmas supper with my dad last week, my dad’s first inquiry was about, “Did you see that Tesla that fell down a cliff and everyone lived?”

He then waxed poetic that that incident was the best marketing that Tesla could hope for, how anyone with kids would want to check out the product.

My dad was a salesman for 42 years and I trust his point of view when it comes to marketing angles.

>So many well off critics don’t understand that demand at scale is limited by affordability. There is plenty of demand for our products, but if the price is more money than people have, that demand is irrelevant.

That's true if the demand Tesla can tap into is from people who don't have the money to buy a Tesla. But what if people who can easily afford Tesla aren't the demand Elon is talking about?

Most people around me can easily afford to buy a Tesla, but they don't because they are misinformed about EV and about Tesla in particular. They're buying Lexus that are far more expensive than Tesla because EV "aren't reliable / are practical if you drives hundreds of kms / batteries aren't clean / battery packs cost a lot to replace / …".

I'm not advocating for Tesla to advertise but I don't understand Elon's argument once you start talking to ordinary, well-off people who know little about EVs.

Reactions: Buckminster
Advertising would be good for the mission, no more can buy Teslas but they can buy the competition. I think also that Elon wants to give the competition a chance.

A compromise would be for Tesla to create the adverts but not spend much on TV etc. Twitter and Youtube would be a good start. I know some folk who would promote the tweets.

Last edited:
Tesla does advertise and does it well. They do it so well that the scum-media don't get a penny out of it.

Those who did not notice it are another story.

Tesla advertises with their great products, not by buying out the mob with cheap flicks showing them how cool they'd be with sub-par ICE car.

Advertising means, to many people including me, traditional media advertising. What you're referring to is marketing. Tesla does a great job of marketing.

Elon Musk tweets: ".".

Media/social media: "Yesterday Elon Musk sent a mysterious tweet <insert tweet>. This has people speculating on the meaning ... <Tesla/SpaceX Twitter etc> ... <article ends>."

It's cheaper to be the story than the advertising next to the story. Hence all the press releases fed to media to pad out their content.

If you go by the definition book, yes. It does mean that.

Traditional media have changed significantly. Most have changed for worse.

Tesla has been around for a while now and Elon knows the lack of value of 'Traditional Media'.
This is why he purchased dog icon company, not a traditional media outlet like Bezos did.

I truly hope that traditional media does not get a penny from Tesla. Ever.

Last edited: