Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the brake pedal activate regenerative braking before the brake pads apply friction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had several EVs and while blended braking is nice, I don't think it matters too much once your preferred (or only) drive mode is 1 pedal, because you will use it sparingly. What I am still missing, though, is the steering wheel paddle you have in Bolt, IONIQ 5 etc. that immediately applies the full force of the regen, as opposed to increasingly applying it when removing the foot from the accelerator, which is necessary to avoid jerking motion. Sometimes you need to slow down faster than you calculated and in Tesla your only option is to move your foot and press on the brake. In the cars with a paddle, you have this additional tool to immediately max your regen, so you really only need the brake when you have to stop suddenly.

Sometimes you need to slow down faster than you calculated and in Tesla your only option is to move your foot and press on the brake.

The weird thing about this is that if you have Cruise Control running the vehicle will allegedly stop before it slams into the stationary vehicle in front of you. It can be a little frightening and shall we say late in applying the anchors, but so far at least it seems to do it successfully and bring you to a stop in time

However, if you touch the brakes, that'll cancel Cruise Control, and then it's all up to you - You're on deck!

Having said that, I wouldn't NOT touch the brakes

As for one-pedal-driving; I like it and got used to it pretty quickly. I now consider it a challenge to not hit the brake at all during a trip (not easy to do though)

I just signed up for a Y and the lack of blended braking worries me, but it will mainly be for my wife and she is ok with it. We had an ID.4 and I had a very hard time with the 1 pedal B mode on that car it caused my right leg to cramp up trying to constantly set smooth braking. My Honda Clarity has regen paddles and blended braking that is close to flawless and much easier to use