Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Toolbox 3 work with 2013 MCU 1 Tegra?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have repaired and/or replaced the failed components after my deer-car collision. I would like to run the coolant bleed procedure (and calibrate the active louvres, etc...) as the coolant system has been open for about a month. I've procured the cable to access the data link on the car but reading posts on the internet people are saying that Toolbox 3 (Online) doesn't work on the older cars with the Tegra MCU 1 processors? How is it possible that, if I pay $165 for a 24 hour access subscription that the software I would use wouldn't work with my car? I don't mind paying for the access, if it works. My MCU 1 is fully updated to the latest 2023 software so I can't use the Toolbox 2 offline version that is floating around out there.

TLDR: Does the paid version of toolbox 3 work on all years/MCUs?
IMG_20231022_180727988.jpg
IMG_20231106_172906012.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I haven't tried using the paid subscription to toolbox 3 yet but wanted to update this thread in case someone comes here via search. I was able to fill the coolant system and get the air out by using a standard coolant vacuum fill system like is used on every other car in the universe. I believe I used the MAZDA cap (don't screw it down all the way or it will leak). I drew a vacuum on the cooling system, let it sit for a few minutes to make sure I had no leaks. Then I used the fill system on the vacuum kit to draw 50/50 G48 coolant from a clean bucket. I drew another vacuum on the system and filled it a second time. That used a little over 1 gallon of coolant. I then plugged the car in to charge and let the pumps do their thing when you first plug in. I checked the coolant level before leaving for work in the morning, it was an inch over the high mark to allow for some more air to escape. I drove 1.5 hours to work and 1.5 hours home and checked the reservoir when I got home and it was just above the low mark. I added a little coolant to just below the high mark and it has stayed steady over several hours of driving. I'm going to go to a supercharger tomorrow to give the cooling system a little stress and make sure the level stays the same.

Another update. I was poking around in the service menu today and noticed there is now a button for coolant purge. I ran the purge routine, it ran the pumps and valves for a little bit. The coolant level never changed. I must have gotten all of the air out with the method above.

• Informative
Reactions: Gtech