Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does voice command feature work for anyone? particularly for maps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Navigation supposed to recognize names from my iPhone Contacts? I ask it to "Drive to [friend's name]'s home" and it never responds. I have to use my iPhone to send the address to the Tesla. Is that how it's supposed to work because it's rather clunky if so. It does respond without fail to commands like "Drive to the nearest Costco,"

Mine works great when it works at all...

About 50% of the time it works as expected, and is pretty much spot on for destination names (has some trouble with names when calling people in my address book, but is generally close enough that it calls the correct person or at least shows a list of potential contacts with the correct one in it).

The other 50% of the time it's almost like the microphone doesn't even turn on. The voice card pops up and appears to be listening but nothing I say is registered. Sometimes it will start to work again on its own after several tries, and sometimes I need to restart before it works again. I was assuming it was a software bug introduced in a recent release since it worked flawlessly when I first got the car but I've had two updates since it broke and the problem still appears. Probably time to schedule a SC appointment.

I agree, calling names from my iPhone contact list works exceedingly well. However, when I ask it to "drive to" or "navigate to" the home of a name of one of my contacts, it never works (e.g., "Drive to [friend's name from contact list]'s home," it just sits there. Is it supposed to work in that fashion or do I have to enter addresses from my contact list manually?

I've used the "Navigate to..." voice command about two dozen times since I've had the car. I think it has missed interpreting my initial request one or two times; so basically a 90% success rate. If it misses the first time, a retry speaking a little bit clearer and slower does the trick. The last time I used it was a week ago when I asked it to find "comm-poe dee bah-chee (Campo Di Bocce) in Fremont" while I was about 11 miles away. It located the business correctly but gave me wrong driving directions that had me go to the back of the building (which faces Fremont Blvd.), where the road is separated by a creek with no way to get over it. I had to double-back and take a side road to get there. Mind you, Google Maps also makes the same mistake in routing. But the navigate voice command was heard and decoded properly.