Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your Model X do this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SC told me that this is a known problem with the Model X where the drive-away locking feature does not work. They told me that they would escalate the issue but it has been almost a year and a half and still no software update to fix the problem. If more people experience this and bring it to Tesla’s attention then maybe they will come up with a fix. If it works for the Model S, why not the Model X?

Just tried this. Stopped the car, did not put the car in park, passenger was able to open the door to exit. The unlocked icon appeared then changed to the locked icon once I started driving again.

So what does the lock icon mean? The passenger was able to open the door, I was able to open my driver’s door while stopped and not in park. I was also able to open my door while moving. To open the FWD from the screen while stopped and not parked with the lock icon showing causes a chime to sound, the car to unlock, and the greyed-out door open button icon to become active— essentially two clicks to open the locked door.

Maybe the lock icon just means the doors cannot be opened from the outside. I did not test this yet.

As far as I know, there is no equivalent to the classic 'you pull the handle and nothing happens' locked door scenario. Locked means locked from the outside.

The child-locked scenario does disconnect the rear doors 'openers', as they do on other cars.

Anyone have other info? Pretty sure this is how it is supposed to work. :D

Just tried this. Stopped the car, did not put the car in park, passenger was able to open the door to exit. The unlocked icon appeared then changed to the locked icon once I started driving again.

So what does the lock icon mean? The passenger was able to open the door, I was able to open my driver’s door while stopped and not in park. I was also able to open my door while moving. To open the FWD from the screen while stopped and not parked with the lock icon showing causes a chime to sound, the car to unlock, and the greyed-out door open button icon to become active— essentially two clicks to open the locked door.

Maybe the lock icon just means the doors cannot be opened from the outside. I did not test this yet.

Different cars have had different door lock standards for years. I remember when I was a kid with GM cars, if the doors were locked, you could not open the doors from the outside or inside. But on Ford cars, you could always open the doors from the inside even if they were locked. I used that knowledge to get a friend's Pinto doors open when he locked his keys in the car. We found a coat hanger and managed to pull the door handle enough to open the door.

So Teslas work more like Ford doors than GM doors.

Mine locks. What it doesn't do semi frequently is close the front passenger window. It leaves it open about half an inch which is super annoying. Especially when it rains...

On my Model X this happens when I leave the passenger window open for many hours. The way I get it closed in those cases is to open the door and and close the window while the door is open. After being closed for many hours, it will usually open and close normally until the next time I leave it open too long. I hope that helps.

Based on the responses so far, it looks like the Drive-away locking feature problem on the Model X only affects the 75D and/or Model X's that were made in 2016 like mine. Anyone else who has a 2016 Model X 75D experience the same problem where the icon remains unlocked even after driving away?

Based on the responses so far, it looks like the Drive-away locking feature problem on the Model X only affects the 75D and/or Model X's that were made in 2016 like mine. Anyone else who has a 2016 Model X 75D experience the same problem where the icon remains unlocked even after driving away?[/QUOTE
Based on the responses so far, it looks like the Drive-away locking feature problem on the Model X only affects the 75D and/or Model X's that were made in 2016 like mine. Anyone else who has a 2016 Model X 75D experience the same problem where the icon remains unlocked even after driving away?
my june 2017 model x 100d has same issue as yours.
wont automatically lock again

Thanks for the response. It seems like the problem is random and there is no way for us to know if only a few of us are affected.

Have you discussed this problem with your SC? I'm curious if they have any better explanation other than "it's a known problem but there's no fix yet because only a few have this problem."