Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't have time to reset the BMS, will it limit my actual range on long trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

n5bar

Jun 18, 2021
I have a 2021 M3 LR with 19 inch wheels. We leave 2 weeks from tomorrow to move 1200 miles: Texas to North Carolina. I only drive my M3 on short, in-city trips because I am retired. So I can't get the battery below 20% in the time remaining unless I go for a useless 200 mile trip. As best I could tell tonight, the BMS thinks I have a range of 310 miles. Thats down over 40 from when I bought it new 2 years ago on June 16th. Will the BMS limit my driving even though the actual battery capacity is higher than it thinks it is. In other words, will it start doing things to my driving (speed or otherwise) if I am driving to a destination when my range is down to less than 5%? I normally use % not miles. Not planning to drive it that close to depletion but I suppose it could happen if a charging station is out of commission for some reason.

No, the battery always charges as full as you tell it to and always gives you everything it can. The only risk of not deep cycling the battery is that the BMS range estimate won't be as accurate.

It's fine to drive it down to 5% or lower, it doesn't start limiting things until 0% but the range estimate may become increasingly inaccurate as you approach the bottom and it's a little harder on the battery to do so.

Age is a dominant factor in battery capacity degradation and they tend to lose a lot of range in the first few months before settling into a much more gradual decline. 310 miles would be 87% of the original capacity and it's likely not that bad, the BMS estimate is probably just erring on the safe side to prevent you from getting stranded. For comparison, mine is also 2 years old (March 2021) and is at 93% capacity according to the full-cycle built in test you can run in service mode:

1686634570918.png

• Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH