Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handle Stuck in Cold - Comparative Data Point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

First off, I want to say I love my 3. It is hands down best car I have ever owned and the best car on the market for me. That being said, there are real cold weather issues.

I am well aware of the other threads relating to the door handles sticking, but most devolved into "other cars have the same issue". Yes of course other cars have frozen handles during freezing weather with precipitation, but not nearly as bad as the 3.

The big part of it to me was it was constantly frozen, not just for the first try. In other cars, the handle will be fine once it unsticks once. That was not the case, they continued to stick and freeze in the open position after multiple openings.

There were two Model 3s there, both with the same issues. One was brand new, one with about 9k miles. For comparison, there was also a modern Buick, last gen Jeep Compass/Patriot (forget which), and a 10 ish year old Saab. None of the non-Teslas had issues like the Tesla when opening doors, but both Teslas did.

It was about 15-25° F in Vermont. One side of one of the cars had minor frost, but there was no major precipitation.

Just wanted to post my experience. I have driven in this or similar climate for over 10 years and the frequency and amount of handle freezes is definitely abnormally high.

Thanks!

20181225_082134.jpg
20181225_082633.jpg
20181225_082140.jpg