Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bit of chrome came off passenger door handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

A bit of chrome has come off the underside of the front passenger door handle on my December 2019 M3 tonight.

Reports are, with the sun zero temps, it was sticky to open this morning - even after 20m of preheating.

The other handles feel fine. The affected one has a seam underneath that’s split and an inch long fragment of chrome has come off. What’s left is a bit sharp, so for safety I’ve put a bit of tape on it.

IMG_8573.jpeg

Can a Ranger swap out handles do you know?

It’s just over four years old - so no chance of a warranty fix. It’s a lease car with LeasePlan. Do lease co’s pay for such fixes? If so, I guess you get the price from Tesla, get leaseco agreement, proceed, get reimbursed?

If anyone has experience of the process/how to get it fixed I’d appreciate the benefit - Thanks.

Ranger can swap out handles, although it's a bit of a faff as the door card and glass have to come out to access the handle. Not a hard job technically.

Could always get it wrapped chrome on that bit when you're returning it?

I had that a few years back, rear drivers side door. I noticed a small broken piece of plastic when I opened the door after a freeze - and found where it came from with sharp scratch when opening the door handle.

I can’t remember exactly what I did, probably tried to smooth the sharp edge down, but it’s not been an issue since. I had actually forgotten about it until your post.

But yours looks to have lifted over a longer length.

Thanks for the help guys.

I want to buy my car at the end of the lease - so am keen to look after it. Your mention of replacement being a faff and wraps Durzel led me to try and find a clear wrap that went under around the full depth of the handle but I could only find ones that covered an 1/8 inch underneath.

Will try and smooth it down MrBadger, maybe apply some clear Gorilla Tape if I can do it artfully so it won’t lift. Will also try Tesla - see if they will sort for free. My wrap-googling led me back here to find some of our US cousins having the same issue out of warranty:

TMC thread on same

Thanks again.