Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Misalignment Warrantable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a used MS85D. The chrome trim on the front and rear passenger side doors is extremely misaligned. We took it into a service center to get a key fob repaired (one of the two I got was non-functioning) and also asked them to fix the alignment. From what I've seen on the boards, it's a simple fix involving the service person "roll down the window and then, using both hands, to pull the trim from the bottom and adjust the trim until it aligns with the trim on the rest of the frame." However, although the advisor was very friendly, they said that we would have to pay out-of-pocket to get it fixed and it wasn't warrantable.

That seems ridiculous. This was a clear manufacturing defect that should be covered under the warranty, and goodwilled in any case given how simple a fix it is.

What have your experiences been with getting the alignment issues fixed under warranty?

Serious question, why not just roll down the window and then, using both hands, to pull the trim from the bottom and adjust the trim until it aligns with the trim on the rest of the frame yourself?

You could have been done in 1/4 the time it took you to write that post.

I did mine - it's easy.

Serious question, why not just roll down the window and then, using both hands, to pull the trim from the bottom and adjust the trim until it aligns with the trim on the rest of the frame yourself?

You could have been done in 1/4 the time it took you to write that post.

I did mine - it's easy.

If I screw it up, it becomes my problem, and at that point, Tesla definitely won't fix it (nor should they).

I picked up a used MS85D. The chrome trim on the front and rear passenger side doors is extremely misaligned. We took it into a service center to get a key fob repaired (one of the two I got was non-functioning) and also asked them to fix the alignment. From what I've seen on the boards, it's a simple fix involving the service person "roll down the window and then, using both hands, to pull the trim from the bottom and adjust the trim until it aligns with the trim on the rest of the frame." However, although the advisor was very friendly, they said that we would have to pay out-of-pocket to get it fixed and it wasn't warrantable.

That seems ridiculous. This was a clear manufacturing defect that should be covered under the warranty, and goodwilled in any case given how simple a fix it is.

What have your experiences been with getting the alignment issues fixed under warranty?

I wouldn't expect it to be fixed under warranty. It was accepted by the original purchaser and it seemed to be accepted when you bought it. Trim pieces often aren't in warrantee.