Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door sensing unlocked after rain or wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My issue appears to be fixed, but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it yet. I wanted to put this here to help anyone else who might have this problem.

I have a 2021 MYP. The first time I washed it, my rear passenger door window dipped as though I had opened the door. I paused my wash, and attempted to shut the door multiple times, and it still showed the door as open. I tried rolling up the window from that door and the drivers door and it would not go back in the up position. I figured something got wet and triggered a short that mimics the door being unlatched. Once it dried out over the rest of the day, it autocorrected to show closed agan. I made a Tesla appointment and they scheduled mobile service for a latch replacement. Before the tech came out, it rained hard while I was at work one day and it did the same, setting off the alarm in the process. Again, once it dried out, the problem self corrected.

The mobile tech did not change the latch as it was operating as intended and recommended the door harness be replaced. I made another service appointment, this time them having me bring it in. The job took less than 3 hours, and they said that the door harness was likely the issue.

Again, I have not had a chance to test it thoroughly yet, but I have washed it once, and experienced some light rain without issue. I have searched for this topic and seen it happen in M3s, MYs and other Tesla products. Hopefully this helps someone. Chime in if you have had similar issues.