Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drag race on snow/ice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Model 3

Jul 13, 2014
Norway
Here is a special dragrace - Tesla Model S P85D vs a snowmobile :)

http://www.klikk.no/motor/bil/article1526102.ece

The article is in Norwegian. Google-translated quote:
While Tesla Motors only gives good themselves tram-like chirping, hollering snowmobile car should try against. The model is called Lynx boondocks. Owner Sondre Bjøberg call it a "devastate scooter" with 800 cc and around 160 hp.

As a very fast motorcycle, in other words, with the acceleration capabilities of the same size. When Bjøberg throttle, speed increase surreal.

Drag race takes place on ice rink on Tisleia on Gol, on a plowed strip of water. A thin layer of snow lies on top of the ice. Tesla studless tires fight for grip with snowmobile long and narrow belt.

I cant read the Norwegian, so haven't a good clue as to whether the snowmachine was sandbagging it or not. Regardless, the performance of that Thing On The Right was quite impressive, especially as it claims studless tires.

Warning: do NOT attempt with your Mercedes. Or Ford.

I cant read the Norwegian, so haven't a good clue as to whether the snowmachine was sandbagging it or not. Regardless, the performance of that Thing On The Right was quite impressive, especially as it claims studless tires.
The article does say that if the surface had been snow, and not ice, the snowmobile would have won. The snowmobile just didn't have a lot of traction on ice.

Still extremely impressive, of course.

Now we just need a P85D to do the same ice tests that the Toyota does in it's car commercials to demonstrate how well the dual motors work.
Somehow I think the P85D would do a lot better than 50' in 6 seconds.

Yes, we could champion in a whole new school of competitive Tesla vs {whatever} threads ... and then show them to our significant others who wonder why on earth we spend this much money on a car. "Oh. I see."

I certainly tried it (although it wasn't Zamboni-slicked ice); I certainly wanted to know what it could do starting and stopping before I found myself in that position accidentally. I was very impressed, especially since I have all-weather tires. The snow jockeys with chains and snow tires (if chains wouldn't be "cheating") would certainly stomp the proverbial yard.

I live in Northern Illinois, during winter snow conditions Red Light "Snow Drag Races" are an integral part of driving around here in the snow belt, before you complain about illegal and dangerous street drag racing, you should know that these so called "races" are actually very safe and usually undetectable by anyone watching, they last only a short distance and (usually) ends before any speed limits are violated. Because of the limited traction these impromptu "acceleration tests" look just like any other two cars getting up to speed after the lights turn green. You would think that all wheel drive would be the deciding factor in one of these "tests", but while AWD is needed, it is the type of tires used that is the most important ingredient. I have found the Blizzak ice tires, and they must be the softest "Multi-Cell" formulation only available for lower speed rated vehicles and also only low weight non SUV types get the super soft compound. However, when you are driving a car that can run on these specialized winter tires I have never been bested while accelerating in low traction conditions, so far I have won 100% of the time, no matter the competition, AWD Jeeps, with or without giant Mudder tires, big wheel trucks, Police cars. (Yes, I do regularly beat cop cars, it's not illegal to accelerate quickly up to almost the speed limit in the snow.), It seems that most people go with all season tires, even if they do get winter only tires, they (so far), cannot out accelerate my car equipped with the "low speed" Blizzaks. I do not think the Multi-Cell formulation can be used on heavy or high performance cars because the compound is too soft and they would probably get too soft and start to "Chunk" off pieces at higher speeds, so you probably won't be able to get these for a Model S or X. You probably are thinking that I feel that I would win against an AWD tesla, but I do not think that, the weight and electronic traction control on a Tesla would probably easily out accelerate my car, I am pretty sure of that. I wanted to share my personal experiences with snow and ice traction, and winter ice tires on my car, (2010 WRX), I have found that running Blizzaks gives my vehicle maximum traction possible. Blizzak tires are available for SUVs and heavy, high performance cars, but not with Multi-Cell technology. They behave a little like foam rubber, if you were to wrap foam rubber sheeting around your shoes, you could walk on black ice with excellent traction, that's the basic mechanism behind these tires, they really dig in. Only the Blizzak WS60's features Tube Multicell TM Compound and Nano Pro-tech technology developed to deliver snow and ice performance without studs. All the others are regular snow tires.

From the official Blizzak web site;
Multi-Cell compound removes a thin layer of surface water to improve grip using millions of microscopic pores. This compound also allows the tire to remain flexible in freezing temperatures, improving traction and available grip. The high Sipe density of our snow tires improves traction in the wet, snow, and ice by increasing the number of biting edges.

Snow Tires Winter Tires: Bridgestone Blizzak | Bridgestone Tires
Blizzak WS60.jpg

I am not doing a commercial for Bridgestone Tires, they really are that much better compared to other brands. If Blizzaks with Multi-Cell technology could be formulated that could be run on AWD Teslas, that would be a way to increase Tesla's already amazing winter traction even more, perhaps some day this will happen.

I agree tires are essential.

The most common studless tires used here are Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2, which you can buy with the car from Tesla, so chances are that this is what was used in the test. These are tires specially designed for the demanding winter conditions here in the north.