Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah but he's done that exact same thing (in fact that very photo is from around a month ago), but hasn't gotten into the 8s. So I'm curious what's different this time. :)
Oh ok. I was like “well *sugar*, there’s your answer”.

No telling. Maybe he took the bags of fertilizer out of the trunk?

• Funny
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Decided to test out the Plaid in cooler 45 degree damp/wet Seattle weather with 19s and all season Contis….. No drag strip mode prep, etc. Surprisingly similar to the performance summer tires I took off last month when I ran in 70 degree weather. 2.29s w/rollout.

There was slip at the star, and throughout as the acceleration curve shows, so a dry road might have resulted in better times.

dragy wet.png

@WilliamG

Last edited:
Decided to test out the Plaid in cooler 45 degree damp/wet Seattle weather with 19s and all season Contis….. No drag strip mode prep, etc. Surprisingly similar to the performance summer tires I took off last month when I ran in 70 degree weather. 2.29s w/rollout.

There was slip at the star, and throughout as the acceleration curve shows, so a dry road might have resulted in better times.

View attachment 722942
@WilliamG

That's pretty flat curve and I don't think much slipping .here is some real slipping.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211018-131043_dragy.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-131043_dragy.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 43
@bhzmark Yes, but the overall curve is lower, g wise, than prior warmer runs with summer tires. Perhaps I should have said, "more active traction control than previous warmer runs," than "slipping".
Then why do you think it is slipping/traction control? In my experience slipping/tc shows up quite obviously. Just slightly lower power evenly throughout the curve is more likely a smaller effect of SOC or battery temp being colder, or AC being on etc.

Then why do you think it is slipping/traction control? In my experience slipping/tc shows up quite obviously. Just slightly lower power evenly throughout the curve is more likely a smaller effect of SOC or battery temp being colder, or AC being on etc.
As say compared to this.

Here are two Dragy runs--the right one is on my favorite patch of blacktop, the left one is, ironically enough, at the drag strip, where I was having some sort of negative interaction between tires and road surface. You can see how the car starts to ramp, but then backs off at the drag strip on both the speed and acceleration lines.

1634586106559.png

I see no reason to interpret those small oscillations in the G curve as indications of tire slippage or traction control. I get those all the way down a well prepped drag strip.

The best indication of tire slippage, or not, is the 60 foot time, which isn't shown on the 0-60 mph dragy, and is why 1/8 mile is much more useful..

Here I am in my P85D with a good 60 foot time and perfect traction, yet small oscillations, for the whole 1/4 mile.

The dragy times were nearly identical to the time slips.

The Dragy times, especially 60 foot, are much more useful than the G meter plots.

I think I might try to better secure the Dragy box instead of letting it bounce around in the cupholder next time and see if that gives a smoother curve.

1634589676564.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211018-161908_dragy.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-161908_dragy.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
As much as I like seeing the performance of the Plaid, am I the only one who is starting to feel like this is groundhog day? I am to the point I just avoid any Plaid racing vids on youtube and anywhere else. We know the Plaid will run 9.1-9.2 with a good SoC. Any 8 second car is going to destroy the Plaid unless they have the worst possible launch and give the Plaid a huge hit at the line to make it interesting.

From the countless vids I've seen, you are pretty much locked into that time range unless you start gutting your interior. You are already so quick nothing is going to move the needle much unless you have a lot more HP (impossible until someone unlocks it) or losing a lot of weight and somewhat limited there. Tire size changes won't be huge. There are very few levers left to pull on a Plaid to make it quicker and none of them will be anything significant in fairly stock form. We aren't going to see anyone drop way into the 8's for example unless you could pretty much gut the car entirely or someone finds a way to hack power delivery assuming the wiring and batteries can handle it.

I love that it is an ultra-quick street car in stock form. Almost anything you encounter on the street won't touch it. Exercising its capability on the street though is a risky enterprise if you choose to do that. At the track it is a totally different story. There are quite a few quick cars last time I was there. So now what since the newness has worn off and just replowing pretty much old ground with some Porsche/Ferrari/Vette/<insert exotic car here>? It is like watching a movie that you already know the ending before you see it.

For me the next area is to really see what the long range can do. Limited data on that so far. Maybe see some top speed runs for the Plaid once derestricted. and broach 200 mph on a close course somewhere.