Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Plaid Dragy Testing, Tires, Tire Pressure etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a 1.5 year old facelifted '22 model S Plaid a couple months ago and did some street Dragy testing on it. I have only been able to go higher 9s and no where close to low 9s. i believe it is hitting some traction control around 45-50mph. my original thought was that it was too cold and now that its getting to mid 50s it still does it. also it doesn't seem to get the 4.6 60-130s either. consistently 5.0-5.1 range. anyone have launch tips for the street? tires? pressures? etc
It has factory 19s with Pirellis on them. This is with drag mode on, peak performance ready and using launch mode with cheetah. 95%+ SOC

IMG_4098 (1).PNG
IMG_4099 (1).PNG
image0 (1).jpeg

Reactions: Vettepartz
Graphs seem to show major traction issues down low which is killing your 60ft.

How often have you charged your car to 95-100% and let it sit? I've had my car around 2.5 years and I still hit 4s 60-130. In less than ideal conditions, lower 5s are normal. I rarely charge to over 90% unless I'm going on a long trip or will be doing some racing/dragy hits immediately. I don't let the car sit for long periods at a very high state of charge which likely helps with battery health.

The car does what it can with the available traction. Judging by your graph, a better road/track needs to be found. I did some runs yesterday under the same conditions, same wheels/tires and temperature, and did a 6.14 @119 with a 2.29 0-60(no rollout subtracted). Traction was ok, but the tires still spun and power was being managed. You will definitely not get quoted acceleration times without a near dead-hook and no spin for the duration of the run.

You have traction issues, a faster 60 ft by a few tenths will gain twice as much in time at the end. Trap speed of 148 is pretty good, and I would bet with more traction you might pick up a few MPH because of more power allowed and trap at 150+.

Reactions: Muzzman1
You have traction issues on the bottom end. Your 60 ft's should be in the low 1.50's and your 1/8 mi should be close to 6.0
That dip in your graph right before your 2.59 0-60 was a loss of traction that realistically cost you about 5 10th's.

Edit, this is what good traction looks like (only to the 1/8 though)
IMG_3871.PNG

Reactions: prodigymb
yeah that was my original thought too, that its traction control as well. i can feel it pulling power there. that's why i made the post, to see what others were getting time wise in the cold. i will try a different road, but those Dragys are on the local "dragstrip" road. That's where I want to make it work. Has anyone tried better tires for more consistent traction (rears only or all 4)?

Interesting. I have a '21 Plaid with 19's and tires (Bridgestone Potenza sport) with around 4k miles on them.
It's in the shop and I got a loaner Plaid with 21" wheels. This car hooks WAY better than mine. My car is definitely reducing power to avoid slip. Night and day.
Any 19" Plaid people out there with a tire/pressure rec?
Do 21's hook better than 19's generically speaking?

I have the Pirellis, which people seem to say work well. They haven't been working that great for me, but it has been cold. I got some lowering links for it and camber arms, so that I can stand up the rear wheels a bit more ( bring down the negative camber)

it's possible. the links and arms are coming today, so i will get it going by the weekend. i have tried launching on a different road and I got it to not have that 45mph traction/ power cut. but i need to conquer the tricky road.

Interesting. I have a '21 Plaid with 19's and tires (Bridgestone Potenza sport) with around 4k miles on them.
It's in the shop and I got a loaner Plaid with 21" wheels. This car hooks WAY better than mine. My car is definitely reducing power to avoid slip. Night and day.
Any 19" Plaid people out there with a tire/pressure rec?
Do 21's hook better than 19's generically speaking?
I have 20" PS4's, the PS4's have MUCH better tractions than the Pirelli's. maybe that's what you were feeling with the 21's.

All of my passes I record my tire pressure, and my best hits were at 45psi (cold) for my 275/35/20's

Reactions: afarkas2222
I have 20" PS4's, the PS4's have MUCH better tractions than the Pirelli's. maybe that's what you were feeling with the 21's.

All of my passes I record my tire pressure, and my best hits were at 45psi (cold) for my 275/35/20's

what kind of 0-60s are you seeing on the street in 40-45 degree weather and warm weather with PS4s?

i actually want to get 20s for my car instead of the 19s.

what kind of 0-60s are you seeing on the street in 40-45 degree weather and warm weather with PS4s?

i actually want to get 20s for my car instead of the 19s.
I live in SoCal, not too many 40-45 days, and the tires are summer tires, so they are not so much designed for such cold temps. In fact I believe they are not recommended for anything below 45, ever.

Here's my best draggy 0-60, I have only done 5 in total on it though.
IMG_4682.PNG

it's finally starting to get warmer up here, so i'm sure that will help too
It will make a big difference. The traction control system is so insidious you don’t feel anything abrupt but the butt meter will tell you you’re down on power. In the same manner road surface is also very important. Once you live with the car for a while you’ll know what roads in your area you can put down power and can’t

Reactions: afarkas2222