Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive in movie theater with the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm thinking about taking my family(wife, 7 year old and 2 year old) in the S to a drive in movie theater(I have not been to a drive-in in years). Anything to watch out for? This place has all crazy kinda rules, like no white lights on at anytime, no running the engine, no honking the horn or car alarms going off, etc. I have never really sat in the car for an extended period of time, so I am not sure what might happen in this situation. Also worried about the sentry cams being an issue, I can disable those, but would they trust me?

If they have the raised rows like they used to then you might be careful about clearance while driving over them or parking. If you have air suspension then perhaps setting it to something above the standard setting could be helpful. Sounds like fun - enjoy!

My town has a drive-in although I have not taken my S (we usually are in the minivan), but may soon try the S as it's the one movie theater that is actually open. The sound system should make it awesome if they have FM broadcast. The only problem I see with the S is the front windscreen does not provide great visibility to the back seat. I'm sure your 7 y/o is adaptable. You will also have to manually turn off the headlights and then make sure you don't touch the brake during the movie. I imagine hot summer nights would be great to keep on camping mode. I'm excited to try this.

I'm also interested to find out how to make the car "behave" for a couple of hours while sitting inside. Usually when I sit in the car for an extended period of time, the car turns itself off (music stops playing) after 15 minutes and to wake it up I have to press the brake pedal which automatically turns on the headlights.

I'm also interested to find out how to make the car "behave" for a couple of hours while sitting inside. Usually when I sit in the car for an extended period of time, the car turns itself off (music stops playing) after 15 minutes and to wake it up I have to press the brake pedal which automatically turns on the headlights.

Does the model S have "camp mode"? That will keep the radio and climate control running until the battery drops below 20%.

Does the model S have "camp mode"? That will keep the radio and climate control running until the battery drops below 20%.
Yes it does
20200527_163445.jpg

Also, go with a full charge or close to it. In addition, might check to see the audio system used by the drive-in is AM and if your car does not have AM you will need an alternative source or portable radio.

Boy, I remember my drive-in days with my 1966 GTO.......those were truly the days.....

Yes, I remember those days as well. The car was hot, the mosquitos were bad, we’d burn one of those smelly smoke coils. Then there was the sound through that awful little hang on speaker. Life is better today. It’s lots better.

When I hit the brakes to turn the car back on, the headlights (and the brake lights for a brief moment) turn on and I have to manually turn them off again. A little annoying if this has to be done every 15 min. I think Camping mode would be the best, but I don’t have that feature yet (older fw).

I think if we had a "drive-in" mode that disabled all exterior lights, and turns the interior screen off after 5 seconds, that would be great. Also something that will keep the exterior fan noise to a minimum while running climate inside the car. Will camp mode do this? I've never used it before...