Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding Between older Model S or Newer Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there!

I'm currently looking into getting a Tesla and wanted some input. I'm looking to buy a car between now and May in Texas, but I will be relocating to Colorado this summer.

As such, cold weather is a factor. I'm mainly going to be commuting to work and back, but will also making a round trip from CO Springs to Denver every month.

My budget is $20k or below, and preferably eligible for the $4k tax credit.

I'm currently looking at either getting a used 2013 Model S P85 w/ 110,000 miles
and free supercharging for $15k
or
A used Model 3 w/ 100,000 miles from Hertz or a local used car dealer for $20k

Tesla Model S
Pros:
* Free Supercharging(huge)
* Better Interior
* includes MCU2
* wear over a longer period of time by personal owner instead of hard fleet use
* No interior cams
Cons:
* No AutoPilot or FSD
* Older car
* Less range(205m range at 90%), battery degredatiom
* no heat pump

Tesla Model 3:
Pros:
* Heat Pump
* Reliability?(would still be high mileage)
* Sentry Mode
* AutoPilot
Cons:
* More expensive
* Not well taken care of, fleet model
* No free supercharging or connectivity
* Much more basic look

I aesthetically prefer the model S and I really like that it comes with supercharging, but I'm worried about long term reliability and winter months. Should I be worried about reliability if this car has a clean Carfax and has already made it to 110,000 miles? and is the lack of a heat pump a deal breaker?

Thanks for your input

Hey there!

I'm currently looking into getting a Tesla and wanted some input. I'm looking to buy a car between now and May in Texas, but I will be relocating to Colorado this summer.

As such, cold weather is a factor. I'm mainly going to be commuting to work and back, but will also making a round trip from CO Springs to Denver every month.

My budget is $20k or below, and preferably eligible for the $4k tax credit.

I'm currently looking at either getting a used 2013 Model S P85 w/ 110,000 miles
and free supercharging for $15k
or
A used Model 3 w/ 100,000 miles from Hertz or a local used car dealer for $20k

Tesla Model S
Pros:
* Free Supercharging(huge)
* Better Interior
* includes MCU2
* wear over a longer period of time by personal owner instead of hard fleet use
* No interior cams
Cons:
* No AutoPilot or FSD
* Older car
* Less range(205m range at 90%), battery degredatiom
* no heat pump

Tesla Model 3:
Pros:
* Heat Pump
* Reliability?(would still be high mileage)
* Sentry Mode
* AutoPilot
Cons:
* More expensive
* Not well taken care of, fleet model
* No free supercharging or connectivity
* Much more basic look

I aesthetically prefer the model S and I really like that it comes with supercharging, but I'm worried about long term reliability and winter months. Should I be worried about reliability if this car has a clean Carfax and has already made it to 110,000 miles? and is the lack of a heat pump a deal breaker?

Thanks for your input
@ucmndd is correct. On the Model 3, when does warranty expire due to mileage?

Last edited:
For Model S the weakest point will be the air suspension and the AC system that can cost a lot to fix. After some other common problems are the large drive unit if RWD or Performance. Stay away from the 70/85 packs and it should keep you safe for a longer period.
Having an 85D bought SH I would definitely go with a 2021+ Model 3 even if only RWD or a 2019-2020 Long Range AWD.

You definetely would want autopilot. Not sure if I would buy an older S as you will have issues and they will be expensive. Charging is also pretty slow compared to these newer cars. My wifes model Y charges so fast that I get jealous and hate charging my car now.

Thought about buying a new one? With rebates, it might be a pretty good deal and you dont have to deal with any issues that might arise for a while.
Repairs on these cars are quite costly and one repair can offset any savings you may have. Tesla advertising

Model Y Starting at $36,490 After Federal Tax Credit​

Really a tough call since the model S looks much better than the 3 imo.

Reactions: El joe
How much do you really think you're going to be supercharging the vehicle? I will say when charging from home, the Model 3 will be cheaper to operate. They are two completely different cars. I would test drive if you are not far from a service center. Also as what was already said, the Model Y is at a great price point. It really is a nice car for the money. Always keep in mind, the newer the Tesla the better enjoyment you will have. Sometimes New over Used for Tesla is not that far apart in pricing compared to what you get in return.

Best of luck with your decision.

Reactions: El joe
How much do you really think you're going to be supercharging the vehicle? I will say when charging from home, the Model 3 will be cheaper to operate. They are two completely different cars. I would test drive if you are not far from a service center. Also as what was already said, the Model Y is at a great price point. It really is a nice car for the money. Always keep in mind, the newer the Tesla the better enjoyment you will have. Sometimes New over Used for Tesla is not that far apart in pricing compared to what you get in return.

Best of luck with your decision.
I agree. I’ve had six Teslas and have hardly ever supercharged. Even on most roadtrips I usually charge two to three times and spend maybe $20-30 each time. 99% of my charges take place at home so FUSC is vastly overrated IMO.

Just responded to someone else on this specific subject, so I'll quote that below. I personally think Model 3 is absolutely the way to go here if the size/body style of the Model 3 meets your needs.

Also, if you want a non-fleet-owned Model 3 for a reasonable price, consider mine! :) 2018 Model 3 LR RWD, 100k miles, $21,500 / $17,500 after tax credit. Also includes a Stealth Hitches trailer hitch w/ 2" receiver useful for bike racks, which I'm sure you'll be needing given you are moving to Colorado haha

Going to promote my own listing here ($17,500 after tax credit, which mine definitely does qualify for), but I think unless there's a good reason that you want the larger size/hatchback of the Model S, that a used Model 3 is going to be a better bet in your price range.

• You get newer generation batteries and drive units that seem to have worked out many of the early failure points. IMO a 2018 Model 3 is a much more reliable vehicle long term than a 2015 Model S, new battery or not.
  • Much better charge curve & efficiency means real-world roadtripping times will be much better in the Model 3
  • Modern autopilot + FSD capability
    • The 2015 has the old Mobileye "highway autopilot" which has pros/cons but is no longer updated. even 2018 Model 3 is capable of all the latest AP updates.
You do lose the free supercharging, but charging at home is cheap and much more convenient anyways, so unless you are a huge road-tripper, it's really not a ton of money you are talking about saving anyways (and if you are a big road-tripper then the Model 3 is going to be faster at that as mentioned above so maybe worth the extra cost)