Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver training, limitations of Autopilot and FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Airline autopilot systems have years of human pilot training incorporated into their use.

What Do We Tell the Drivers? Toward Minimum Driver Training Standards for Partially Automated Cars SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

For my experiences with Autopilot in a Model 3, I noticed that I often really don’t know why it shuts off. Sometimes I can predict when it will quit, and I’m prepared. Other times, I’m caught by surprise and have to immediately take control.

Training in the system would help me be safer.

After reading the above article I now will be less likely to let a friend drive the Model 3. They need some training before they try to experience autopilot.

I hope that Tesla posts driver training modules on YouTube for each update of autopilot firmware. The release notes are inadequate.

Slate has a concise and funny view of these issues as well.

The Crash of the Boeing 737 Max Is a Warning for Drivers, Too

“Robots make excellent backup drivers to humans. Humans make terrible backup drivers to robots.”— Costa Samaras, director of the Center for Engineering and Resilience for Climate Adaptation

“They lull people into a false sense of security, and this is a lesson we’ve learned the hard way in aviation,” Cummings explained. “People basically get their driver’s license because they’re alive. The bar is really low. You can enforce that people go through some kind of standardized training, but we just won’t do it, we’re lazy. That’s why I’m against Level 3 autonomy. You just can’t guarantee that humans—not getting checked by the FAA for an annual check ride—are going to do their job.”

71250EC7-426E-416C-AA4E-EBF41231DB76.jpeg
From the first article,
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

Geez, Tesla would have to have monthly training just to stay up to date with new firmware updates. Detailed training is probably out of the question.

Plenty of people used to check in here at TMC complaining that they expected the car to basically drive itself (and stop for stopped cars ahead of them) according to what the sales people were telling them. Just a good "you're responsible, be ready to take over quickly at any time" talk before they left with their new car would have gone a long way towards better safety.

My training is here at TMC. I read the new firmware threads and have a good idea of what to expect when I update. That works fine for me, though I realize most other drivers are not doing this.

Here's another article that connects Boeing's 737 woes with concerns about DAS and HAV:

Humans struggle to cope when automation fails

Selected excerpts:

[...]

Switching from automatic to manual is not straightforward. Flight-control systems may not disengage entirely. Instead, they might continue to assist the pilot in an attempt to prevent a dangerous manoeuvre. When things do go wrong, it is critical that pilots follow the correct procedures, which are different for each model of aircraft. Pilots learn these and carry checklists spelling them out.

[...]

Studies have shown that when people have to wrest control from an automated system, it can take them around five seconds to grasp what is happening. The monotony of monitoring a semi-automated vehicle may reduce vigilance by provoking what psychologists refer to as “passive” fatigue. Such concerns have led some carmakers, Ford among them, to consider skipping semi-automation and go straight to something closer to full autonomy, cutting people out of the loop. That would remove the human-machine interface—but not humans’ machine-induced fears.​

It's not exactly rocket science.

You keep a hand at the wheel, pay attention like you normally do during driving and you prevent the wheel from going turning/take control if something goes wrong. In some situations if your car gets uncomfortable close to something, you torque the wheel in the opposite direction. It's common sense really.