Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 was delivered in mid-August 2018. While I originally just had Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), I quickly paid the extra $2000 to get FSD as rumors swirled about Tesla charging more in the future. What's my opinion after 5 years of testing and playing with Tesla EAP and FSD? TLDR: It's pretty much still just a gimmick and hardly worth the extra $2K I paid for FSD, much less the $15,000 they charge today.

So a little about my experience so you understand my evaluation. Since receiving the car in August of 2018, I have done everything possible to have the latest firmware, latest features, and test and provide feedback on the latest software and capabilities. I am an engineer by training and education, and have participated in a lot of software Beta Test programs for lots of products, and I take the whole thing fairly seriously because to me it's lots of fun. So I don't feel like I have (or had) unrealistic expectations of what FSD would be able to do, what the testing process would be like, or when the features would become polished and truly usable.

All that said, let's start with what works: Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) and Auto Lane Change. NoA is an L2 ADAS feature that combines TACC and Autosteer to drive the car on limited access highways, and includes features like automatic speed-based lane changes and highway interchange transitions. IIRC, the initial version was released in October of 2018 and, since then I have put thousand of miles on it. Now a part of FSD-beta on highways, while it has improved somewhat, it basically the same functionality as NoA on release five years ago. Phantom braking is noticeably better (happens less frequently but still happens) and the system now has some subtle safety improvements, like cheating to the outside of the lane when passing a truck. But passing behavior is still wonky and can be harrowing, and lane selection for passing and exit/transition ramps is still really bad - maybe even a bit worse than in original NoA now that it doesn't use maps as much. In addition, when it came out in 2018 I felt like NoA was "best-of-breed" for these L2 ADAS highway-driving systems, but I feel like it has now been surpassed by BlueCruise, SuperCruise, Drive Pilot, and the like, many of which offer some level of hands-off and/or eyes-off driving for a truly L3 autonomous driving experience. But NoA is still a very useful feature, IMO, offering reduced workload, fatigue, and stress on long highway trips, especially if you do your own passing with Auto Lane Change instead of the automated speed-based lane changes.

Another thing that works is Summon. Remote control your car into and out of a garage or tight parking space. Only useful in very limited circumstances but it does what it does well when you need it (as long as you still have USS, evidently).

Everything else: AutoPark, Smart Summon, Autosteer on City Streets, and Traffic and Stop Sign Control? Gimmicks. Barely usable and hardly ever useful. Setting AutoPark and Smart Summon aside (because they just plain don't work), Autosteer on City Streets is a massive undertaking and has improved immensely since "beta" testing began almost three years ago now. But to engage it, you have to be ready to be extremely alert and ever vigilant - hardly a relaxing way to drive. And while it can get you from point A to point B - even sometimes without intervention (which has never happened to me) - it is most often still a harrowing experience to use it. As an ADAS feature, it has zero utility, IMO. Fun to show off to your friends, and fun to test the latest and greatest to see what it can do. But from a practical standpoint, it can't get me anywhere I need to go faster, more efficiently, more relaxing, or, regardless of how many people quote statistics to try and prove otherwise, safer than I can get there by driving myself.

And now looking back 5 years and thinking where we've been and how far we've come, it's actually quite sad to me that this is all we got. I don't know how much more appetite for "testing" FSD beta I have, and often think I would be much better off or newer firmware just driving myself or on plain, old AutoPilot (I, personally, would still have my NoA in my EAP). But if there's anybody out there thinking whether they want to invest $15,000 in Tesla's autonomous driving systems, just take a tip from me and go into it with (very) low expectations of what you will be getting.
Screenshot 2023-09-11 12.50.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Yes, the major cause of accidents in Australia's rural areas is animal impact, mainly kangaroos, walabies and emus but feral pigs, deer and camels also feature and even domestic animals are a problem in some areas. If FSD or EAP could reasonably predict the path of a moving animal and take evasive action it would make them more attractive financially. A stopped animal is a more difficult proposition because it is impossible to know if/when it will move but if it is close to the road it is certainly prudent to slow down so evasive action is easier if required.
It should stop if it sees anything 6 inches of so tall

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I have been using some form of the "autopilot" since 2016. Now I have a 2019 X with FSD. I definitely enjoy the autopilot experience for 60 mile a day commute. Mainly, highway driving.

I was surprised was yesterday when I tested a new model Y and met the new cabin camera. That seemed to really worsen the "autopilot" experience:mad:

Everything else: AutoPark, Smart Summon, Autosteer on City Streets, and Traffic and Stop Sign Control? Gimmicks. Barely usable and hardly ever useful.
Agree on AutoPark and Smart Summon.

Hard disagree on City Streets and Traffic + Stop Sign Control. I use them every day largely without issue, making my commute more relaxing and safer.

I know where the limitations are - complex/busy left turns for example - but "gimmicks/barely usable/hardly ever useful" is the opposite of my experience.

I've also been using AP/FSD for about 5 years. My 2018 3 came with EAP and I upgraded to HW3 and "FSD" in 2021. Overall I usually enjoy using it, mainly because it generally eliminates some of the commuting emotional drama (someone else is driving). However, I've noticed that FSD chronically runs very real risks of the following:

1) REAR END COLLISIONS
2) ROAD RAGE

I have to drive with my foot on the accelerator and be ready to use it very quickly when it gets spooked and hits the brakes (which it does, very often, and usually in traffic). This is not exactly relaxing. Keep in mind that in heavy traffic FSD generally leaves an unnaturally large gap with the car ahead, resulting in those behind me riding my @ss like Jerry Sandusky, so when it DOES hit the brakes (and it WILL) the chance of getting rear-ended and/or receiving road rage is much, much higher.

At this stage I've been underwhelmed so many times by the next big update that I am tempering my enthusiasm for v12.

I just did a 200 miles drive and the car decided it really didnt like being next to a big rig.. it kept getting confused with the shadow and thinking something was there when it wasn't. 80 to 0.. I'm sure the people behind me were not amused.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It should stop if it sees anything 6 inches of so tall
Stopping would not be ideal, there is too many of them at dawn and dusk and anyway stopping for something the size of a rabbit or cat is a bit excessive. If the animal was bigger than that and sitting in the middle of the road then stopping maybe the best option but usually they are moving reasonably quickly and could be avoided by just changing speed so long as the software had the ability to track an animal and predict its path.

And it never will. Even Waymo, the leader in L4 AVs, and bristling with an advanced sensor package, can't do it. The only thing it can possible do is satisfy your "relaxing" criteria. AVs and L2 ADAS systems will never be faster or more efficient than you driving manually. Safety is debatable. There are people who claim FSD Beta saved them from something they didn't see, and there are people who claim FSD Beta would have caused an accident if not for their intervention. Even the more advanced AVs like Cruise are crashing into buildings, and they have LIDAR, RADAR, USS, and cameras all over them.
Isn't Waymo the one that managed to navigate a whole cluster of themselves into a gridlocked intersection in San Francisco? Or was that Cruise that can only drive competently in Chandler AZ? or let's use the Mercedes-Benz version which they tout as L3 but it can only drive in certain cities and then only at 40mph or slower? Does an Uber driver cost more than all those gadgets festooning a Waymo?

Reactions: pilotSteve
What absolutely shocks the hell out of me is that Tesla is even *talking* robotaxi. (And apparently Elon is still pushing for a controller less car for some insane reason...) In order to accommodate a robotaxi scenario FSD will have to be solved to 100%. It has to account for everything it could encounter. As anyone in software can tell you solving a software problem to 100% is an exponential difficulty curve. If they are currently at 80% (being extremely generous there) towards level 5 autonomy that might not even be half way to a robotaxi solution. Folks we are decades away from robotaxis with Tesla's chosen solution. The race isn't over but the horses are coming down the final stretch and Tesla is dozens of lengths behind Waymo at this point.
Yes and if it will only be safer than humans by a factor of 10 then only 1 tenth of those NYC pedestrians that step out in front of Waymos will be hit. Yay!

But seriously folks, I recently stayed at a B&B where my room fronted an alley. An apparently confused (human) driver came down the alley, hit the wrong pedal (gas not brake), made the wrong steering choice, drove right into my room (I was elsewhere) causing some $14,000 damage. The B&B owners kindly put me up nearby and I still stay at their B&B regularly - it wasn't their fault! I expect a Tesla on FSD would have spotted that room (certainly bigger than a Buick) and calmly gone on down the alley like a good RoboTaxi.

Reactions: pilotSteve and Dewg
Given what just happened to Cruise in California, maybe Tesla should lean back on the robotaxi chatter since FSD in my car can't even go a few miles without me having to seize control and prevent it from doing something dangerous, stupid, and/or illegal. The Tesla BOD would be well served by kicking the muskrat to the curb and bringing in someone who will stop ripping out critical safety components (USS & rain sensors), and who cares about delivering what they promise reasonably close to when they say it will happen - or, alternatively, owning it when they promise something that doesn't happen, and granting refunds to people who paid in advance for features that haven't worked for years and aren't likely to work anytime soon.

Given what just happened to Cruise in California, maybe Tesla should lean back on the robotaxi chatter since FSD in my car can't even go a few miles without me having to seize control and prevent it from doing something dangerous, stupid, and/or illegal. The Tesla BOD would be well served by kicking the muskrat to the curb and bringing in someone who will stop ripping out critical safety components (USS & rain sensors), and who cares about delivering what they promise reasonably close to when they say it will happen - or, alternatively, owning it when they promise something that doesn't happen, and granting refunds to people who paid in advance for features that haven't worked for years and aren't likely to work anytime soon.
The multitude of accidents and deaths has never apparently held tesla back from all kinds of lofty claims. I don't expect them to start now :)