Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

driver window not closing all the way after closing the door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my M3 today, and already seeing a weird bug with the driver window. I used to drive a MS so I'm pretty familiar with how these cars are supposed to work.

So normally, if the window is all the way up (closed), and you open the car door, it will go down a little bit (maybe around an inch) so that it has clearance with the car body. Then when you close the door, the window will go back up again the same amount so now the window is sealed.

However with my M3, it's weird, it doesn't do that last part. Meaning after I open the door and close it again, that 1 inch gap is still there. And worse part is, pulling the window button doesn't do anything. So I can't close the gap, and am stuck with my window partially open.

Anyone one encounter something like this before? Is it a bug possibly related to the new "cold weather" fix they pushed out recently? I feel like it is all related somehow (window gaps, opening/closing doors, etc).

Just got my M3 today, and already seeing a weird bug with the driver window. I used to drive a MS so I'm pretty familiar with how these cars are supposed to work.

So normally, if the window is all the way up (closed), and you open the car door, it will go down a little bit (maybe around an inch) so that it has clearance with the car body. Then when you close the door, the window will go back up again the same amount so now the window is sealed.

However with my M3, it's weird, it doesn't do that last part. Meaning after I open the door and close it again, that 1 inch gap is still there. And worse part is, pulling the window button doesn't do anything. So I can't close the gap, and am stuck with my window partially open.

Anyone one encounter something like this before? Is it a bug possibly related to the new "cold weather" fix they pushed out recently? I feel like it is all related somehow (window gaps, opening/closing doors, etc).
The cold weather update does leave the window open (during cold weather) by a tiny bit (and it’ still seals) but definitely not as much as you describe. Anything is possible but I’d guess it’s not the cold weather update that’s the issue. Have you tried the window recalibration trick?

Might not be user error. I had same problem with hard closing door on my M3. I adjusted the striker on the door frame since it was rubbing on the bottom of the door catch causing the door to drag a bit. You can easily see this with a flashlight when you stand outside and slowly shut the door. I am sure the SC or a Ranger can do this as well.

It takes a T45 torx bit socket to loosen striker on door frame, then align it to the center of door catch.

Now my driver’s door closes very easily and the first time.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic

I found my issue was the window tint. accumulated dirt causing friction triggering the finger biting safety mechanism... cleaned the edges and the seals . now works great.