Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's seat shifts left/right plus thunk noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 Model X has an issue with the driver's seat. It developed after I first got the car. When making a sharp turn, usually left but sometimes right, the seat feels like it shifts to the opposite side. Mostly I feel it on low speed sharp turns, but if there is a curved highway ramp I can feel it then too. Sometimes at the end of the shift it makes a thunk noise. The first time I took it in to the SC, the tech drove it with me and immediately said he felt it shift. He ordered a new seat.

After getting the new seat installed, the seat was good for a while, but then started doing the same thing. Took it back to the SC where it was diagnosed with a "loose spring". (According to the invoice). This didn't really fix the situation, but I let it go. However, it has worsened, and when I went to have the HW3 computer installed, I raised the issue.

The supervisor was able to duplicate the problem, but didn't want to replace the seat since that had been tried. Friction tape has been added (somewhere, I don't know where) to try and correct it.

Is anyone aware of what could be causing this issue?

The SC also wants to charge me, even though they were able to duplicate the problem. Can anyone see a reason the seat moving and making a thunk noise would not be under warranty?