Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Down I-5 - Seeking temporary solution for protection again rock chips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

With the holidays coming up I may have to pick up my M3 from Fremont or San Francisco after Christmas, and drive it down to LA (Parents are up in SF, but I live and work here in Los Angeles). While I'm kind of excited to drive down I-5 and finally use the superchargers at Harris Ranch, I'm a little worried about getting rock chips on my bumper. I never really worried about it too much driving my previous car, but with this brand new M3, I'm honestly freaked out about it.

I won't have a lot of time up in the bay so I don't think I can get it wrapped while I'm up there. For anyone that's been in a similar situation, should I buy a Colgan car bra, or know of any place that wrap it up pretty fast? Anyone know of a temporary solution for a road trip?
Hey JLP! My Xpel clear bra ran me $580 including blinkers and headlights and was installed at my place in about 6hrs. A few phone calls and a little scheduling and you might be able to get it done the day you pick it up where ever you ask, even the SC where you pick it up. Just a thought. You could always have the remainder wrapped later when you have time. After over 5K miles, the clear bra has done its job and I don't see any hood or fender damage yet. I'd hate to spend money on something I'll end up throwing away later.
Good luck, you have some great options for protecting that tender bumper. :D
:cool:

Hey JLP! My Xpel clear bra ran me $580 including blinkers and headlights and was installed at my place in about 6hrs. A few phone calls and a little scheduling and you might be able to get it done the day you pick it up where ever you ask, even the SC where you pick it up. Just a thought. You could always have the remainder wrapped later when you have time. After over 5K miles, the clear bra has done its job and I don't see any hood or fender damage yet. I'd hate to spend money on something I'll end up throwing away later.
Good luck, you have some great options for protecting that tender bumper. :D
:cool:

What did $585 get you as far as coverage? bumper, hood, fenders?

Hi!

With the holidays coming up I may have to pick up my M3 from Fremont or San Francisco after Christmas, and drive it down to LA (Parents are up in SF, but I live and work here in Los Angeles). While I'm kind of excited to drive down I-5 and finally use the superchargers at Harris Ranch, I'm a little worried about getting rock chips on my bumper. I never really worried about it too much driving my previous car, but with this brand new M3, I'm honestly freaked out about it.

I won't have a lot of time up in the bay so I don't think I can get it wrapped while I'm up there. For anyone that's been in a similar situation, should I buy a Colgan car bra, or know of any place that wrap it up pretty fast? Anyone know of a temporary solution for a road trip?
Just get a roll of 2" masking tape, the blue stuff. I've used this method for several long distance drives in the days before clear bra was a thing. $5 or so. 10 minutes to apply it. Comes right off so long as you don't leave it there for months. Doesn't look awesome but it'll protect the front of your car from most smallish sized rocks and bugs.

• Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3