Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from SF to LA over July 4th weekend. Least crowded SC along the way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully we get that prediction graph. That seems like something that should be included for all EVs.

The slow lane on the 5 is just not smooth due to the big rigs driving it all the time. You almost have to drive in the fast lane for a smoother and quieter trip. Which means you're going WELL over 70 mph unless you want to move over constantly. Range definitely dips quite a bit when you cross the 70-75 mph mark. It's pretty dramatic. But the car is sooooo smooth at high speeds, yet buttoned down. My BMW wasn't that smooth and it felt nice at high speeds.

Reactions: e-FTW
That is why I think I will miss the charge prediction graph of my S when I get my 3. I look at it all the time to adjust my speed based on predicted arrival charge level. It is VERY handy!

Ah, sorry to hijack the thread, but are you saying the 3 doesn’t have the graph on the S/X CID that shows the projected and actual energy usage to your Nav destination? Is that something they’re going to add? Does the Nav screen at least show the projected energy at your destination?

When I did a drive from the SF Bay Area to San Diego last year, I stopped at Gustine, Harris Ranch, Tejon Ranch, Buena Park on the way down I-5. Coming back was via US-101, charging at LA/Hawthorne, Oxnard, Atascadero, Gilroy. I probably could have done one less charging stop each way, but wanted the driving breaks.

(On the other hand if I were trying harder to improve my position in the “Most Superchargers Visited” competition, I would have done many more charging stops. Hmmm...maybe I need to do this trip again. :))

Bruce.

Reactions: e-FTW
Nav does show projected energy at destination. No graph or anything that I'm aware of.

Ah, that’s a shame. I hope it comes to the 3 soon...it’s very helpful (although clearly not essential) when adjusting your speed to see what effect it has on your energy reserves. It gives you a clearer mental picture than just having the projected energy at your destination.

Bruce.

Yeah, I mean, really, the bare minimum is the projected charge at destination.

Still, Model 3 owners are likely going to be new Tesla/EV owners. More info to "train" or "teach" them can only be helpful. It's not a feature that should be locked away to the more expensive models.

Reactions: bmah
If you really want to know how your efficiency is doing in a Model 3, reset a trip meter and also watch the projected range (or %) at destination.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Model 3 efficiency on our I-5 trip. I had the TACC set to 80 in most places and still used less than 250Wh/mi for the whole trip. I only charged at Kettleman and Santa Clarita each way. Whizzing by on I-5, Buttonwillow and Bakersfield (Stockdale Hwy) look like dumps in comparison. However, I've never actually stopped there, ever, ICE or EV. Tejon is a reasonable stop too, now that it has been expanded. Our trip return was the weekend Tejon reopened, so we had already planned to avoid it.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele